14) Atlantis? No Alatus

⟐Back to Y/n's POV⟐

Someone lifted your arm and wrapped something around your wrist and forearm. Y/n's eyes fluttered open from the movement.

Golden grass swayed in the breeze as you stared blankly, your mind still disoriented. A hand gently sets your arm down. The grass rustled, and someone sat in front of you. He places the bandages on the ground, then gently pulls your gloves/armband off and switches it for the bandages. He places your hand on his lap and starts to clean the scratches with a piece of cloth.

He was so immersed in his task he didn't notice you awake.

Until, you called.

"Xiao?"

His eyes shot up in surprise, locking with your own. "Xiao," you said again, a bit uncertain. Who was he again? you thought as you squinted your eyes, a sharp pain in your head.

Your bandaged hand massaged your temples as you leaned back against the trunk.

"Xiao," you said again, not liking the fact that it sounded so familiar and foreign on your lips.

"Hey." You turned to see him giving you a stern look. "Why do you call my name?"

"Your name?" you repeated, blinking in surprise.

"Yes, that is my name," he repeated, nodding.

"Are you not Atlantis?"

"Yes, I go by Alatus as—" he stopped short, staring at you dumbfounded. "Repeat yourself."

"Are you, not Atlantis?" you said as you eyed him in confusion.

His brow twitched in annoyance. "It's Alatus, not this 'Atlantis' you speak of," he huffed.

You puffed out your cheek. "That's what I said," you pouted, sitting up, no longer leaning against the tree. "Atlantis."

"No, Alatus. There is no 'n' in that name," he growled, pressing a hand against the ground as he leaned closer.

"That's exactly what I'm saying!" you seethed, grabbing his necklace and pulling him even closer. His eyes widened, caught off guard by your boldness.

He smirked, just like when we first met.

"Listen well, mortal." The nickname stirred your clouded mind as he placed a hand over the one clutching his necklace as he pushed you against the trunk.

Without realizing it, you blushed from the closeness. "I am Alatus of the adepti and yaksha sent by Morax to destroy the plague of demons. My name is Adeptus Xiao."

Your eyes widened as a memory of Xiao standing before you basked in the moonlight came to mind. His striking amber eyes seemed to glow in the shadows as he announced himself.

"Xiao," you repeated, staring in shock, your e/c eyes wide as memories overwhelmed you. A little girl and a machine whirling to life behind her caused your eyes to widen, tears welling up.

A sob broke past your lips, catching him off guard. "Xiao!" you exclaimed, staring at him with wide eyes. He sat there in shock as you cried. He had never seen you cry like this except when they had that argument. "Xiao, I was so scared," you whimpered as tears continued streaming down your face. "I thought I was going to die again." Your hand clasped over your mouth, trying to muffle the cries.

Xiao gently pulled you closer, wrapping his arms around you securely.

"It's alright...to cry out loud," he replied, holding you as he whispered in your ear. "We might walk on different paths one day, but until then, I will be here to protect you." You gritted your teeth as he pulled you closer, resting his head in the crook of your neck. "Just call my name." He closed his eyes as he allowed you to release the emotions that were bottled up, inside you. Sobs wracked your body as he held you.

"Thank you, Xiao..." you gasped, your throat clogging up from the lack of air as you cried. You are strong Y/n, even for a mortal.

Quite a time had passed, and the sun was setting, casting the sky in hues of orange and red. Xiao glanced at the setting sun, then at you. Y/n layed cocooned between his arms, her eyes closed. Soft snores filled the air as you slept. You had fallen asleep, exhausted by the events of today.

Xiao picked you up, taking care not to wake you. He teleported to your room and gently laid you on the bed. Bits of anemo surrounded you until you had changed into a white night dress.

His amber eyes narrowed as he stared at you. Just like the last time you were hurt, he thought bitterly, his hand clenching. I will protect you, I swear on my name!