7) Training Gone Wrong

Y/n held her hand in front of her, eyes shut in concentration. You opened one eye and glanced at the book in your other hand before closing them again.

Geo particles gathered at your hand, and a diamond symbol slowly appeared. Another mark materialized on the ground, surrounding you in a circle. Then branches snaked away from the gold markings and created smaller circles at the ends.

Slowly crystal figures rose from the symbols. The crystal replicas of the treasure hoarders stared back at you. You grinned, pleased with yourself.

That was my 23rd try, and I nailed it! Y/n thought, clenching her fist as you tossed the book to the side. The crystal figures aimed their weapons at you. You pulled your sword out and got into a defensive stance. Your sword is raised over your head as you wait for them to attack.

Movement behind you caught your eye, and you dodged the shovel. Twirling around, you moved to strike him from behind. Only to dodge a dagger, missing the hit. You leaped backward and flipped behind another one. Knocking him off balance, you stabbed through the crystal.

You sprinted through the dust and finished off another one. You deflected another dagger and jumped to dodge the shovel. He flicked it upward, dirt flying into your eyes.

Grunting, you stumbled backward, trying to rub the dirt away. Something sliced across your back, and you stumbled forward. Biting your tongue to keep from screaming. Only to get kicked in the face.

You tasted iron as you hit the ground. Your wounds from the cryo and electro arrows reopen.

Footsteps thudded against the ground, and you quickly tried to get up. The pain forced you to crumble back on the floor.

Gritting your teeth, you slammed your fist into the ground. A circle appeared, and the figures crumbled mid-step into piles of broken crystals.

You grunted as you sat up, loose strands of bandages dangling from under your shirt. It looks like I need to redo those. You placed a hand on your knee as you rose, your back protesting. You gasped for air, the simple movement causing so much pain. You wanted to pass out from the ache already.

Your fingers curled around a cobalt blue gem hanging from your vision. Concentrating you focused on the Waypoint at Wangshu Inn. The scenery blurred, and you stood on the third floor, the waypoint's blue flash fading.

You heard voices coming and hid behind a plant. You leaned against the wall, a hand around your stomach.

You tried to calm your breathing as they passed. You quickly look around and hobble up the stairs. Unnoticed to you, blood dripped onto the floor, leaving a path of crimson drops.

You locked the door just as your legs reached their limits. You collapse in a bloody heap, gasping as you reached for the chair at your desk. Bracing your hand against it, you pulled yourself up.

"Ugh, how annoying," you grumbled. Your eyes barely open, wanting to close and give in to the darkness creeping around your vision.

Your eyes travel to your bag on the table. Rolls of bandages and other necessities for first aid lay beside it. But it's too far, Y/n thought, grunting as you tried to reach for it.

Your hand slipped on the chair, and your head banged against the table. Your eyes widened, the light disappearing from them before closing as you hit the floor.

Well fuck...

Yanxiao glanced up at the roof of the kitchen, confused. "Must have been a guest dropping their things," he mumbled with a shrug of his broad shoulders.

—⟐—

Xiao lay sprawled across one of the thick branches. Watching the fireflies as they weaved through the leaves overhead. The sliver of a moon shone amongst the stars in the sky. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, enjoying the crisp air.

He shifted his arms from under his head, getting into a more comfortable position. She isn't here yet, he thought, eyes narrowing.

The mortal came to the roof to eat dinner, regardless of that fall the first night. Sometimes Xiao joined her. But most nights, he watched from a distance. Preferably from the tree's branches to stay hidden from her view.

Why did he watch the mortal was unknown to even him. He just found her company...pleasant.

Frowning, he sat up and jumped from the branch. In a burst of anemo, he whizzed through the air and appeared inches from the roof's edge. His feet gently touched the ground as he dropped and made his way to the stairs.

Is she perhaps eating in her room? Xiao thought, stopping in the middle of the staircase.

He remained unmoving as something hit his senses. His eyes widened as a wave of crimson washed over him. His eyes snapped to the floor, and he bent lower, sniffing the red liquid that stained it.

His eyes narrowed, blood? Maybe an animal was injured. He calmed down, cursing himself for getting carried away. He followed the trail, and came to a stop. He quirked his head downward, glaring at the door. Isn't this the mortal's room?

His eyes widened slightly as the scent of blood grew. He gritted his teeth as his pupils became slits. Forgetting the handle, Xiao broke down the door. His eyes dilated as he searched the dark room. The only light was coming from the doorway.

He gritted his teeth as he raced to the desk, dropping near your collapsed body. He grabbed your hand and held it to his cheek. Still warm, he thought, sighing in relief.

He dropped your hand and quickly searched for the wound. His hands traveled over your form, your breathing coming in short gasps.

Gritting his teeth, cursing himself for not coming sooner. He noticed a tear on your back and pulled you away from the desk and into the light. He then saw the blood on your temple and quickly checked the wound. He sighed. It's not that deep.

Cradling your head in his lap, he tried to see how the wound on your back was. Grumbling as he tried to feel for it, he tore the rest of the shirt. It was ruined anyway, Xiao thought as he moved the cloth to the side.

His eyes flashed in surprise at the long gash on her back. His fingers hovered over the wound. "It's deep," he mumbled, his eyes narrowing.

Bits of anemo hover around his hand, the teal turning a blueish-white color and then purple.

Two puncture marks caught his attention. "Arrow wounds." He raised his hand and called the wind to bring the bandages. After cleaning the wounds, he gently wrapped her back. Your breathing had evened out, and your face had relaxed. "It looks like you're asleep, but." He stopped, his hand trembling as he gritted his teeth. How much pain were you in?

You shifted, mumbling something as you came closer to him. Xiao blinked down at you as his pupil returned to normal.

He sighed as he gathered anemo, twirling it around you. It disappeared, and you wore a clean white night dress. Your bandages were peeking out, but other than that, it really did look like you were merely asleep.

Xiao lifted you into his arms and walked to the bed. He gently placed you on the bed. He pulled the covers over you, making sure you were comfortable. He paused at the door, sighing as he finally closed it, enveloping the room in darkness.

Footsteps padded gently against the wood as Xiao went to the chair. He pulled it near the bed and sat down. His arms crossed over his chest, one leg over the other, and waited.

A/n: Don't question the method of changing your clothes. I wasn't about to have him strip you...