25) Funeral Parlor

"Are you sure you know where the Funeral Parlor is?" Y/n asks with an expression that showed she was done with this crap.

Childe chuckles nervously, looking anywhere but at you, as he replies. "I'm pretty~ sure it's over here," he mumbles.

"Uh-huh. Didn't you say that an hour ago," you shot back. His blue eyes widen as Childe presses his lips in a thin line, nervous sweat trailing down his face. "No?"

Your fist trembled as you willed yourself not to punch him in his pretty ginger face. "Childe." His face brightened as he turned to you, thinking you forgave him since your voice was lighter. You grab him by the tassel hanging from his choker and yank him down. Y/n decided she wasn't going to rein herself in today. "You better start praying to your archon, you little shit," you growl with a sickeningly sweet smile. Tears form at the corner of his eyes as he gapes in terror when you raise your fist, anemo swirling around it. "Y-Y/N! Let's talk about this!" he screeches, his smile wavering as he waves his hand in surrender.

"Oh, Miss. Y/n?" You turn your scowling expression to the new voice. Mr. Zhongli flinches when you cast your dark gaze on him. "Is something the matter?" he asks, a bead of sweat trailing down his brow as he gives you a small smile.

"This little sh—" You clear your throat and drop Childe, and he flops back, his soul leaving his body with relief. "My friend here said he was going to help me find the Funeral Parlor since he knew where it was," you explain, lightly kicking the ginger's side for good measure. "We've been walking around for an hour with no luck, and I already wasted my morning trying to find the place too," you scoff.

He smirks softly as he walks closer, just stopping within arm's reach. "Then allow me to take you there. I should've realized sooner that you'd run into this sort of problem," he says. He glances down at Childe. "By the way, might you introduce me to your friend?" he asks. You blink in surprise as you stare in surprise. "Um, are you sure?" you ask tentatively. "I'm pretty sure you're status is pretty high. I don't think I'd be able to do you justice," you add.

He smiles softly. "Preferably, it'd be best if you do it or rather." He leans closer to you. "I'd like it very much if you introduced me," he adds softly, your face feeling hot again.

"Yeah, who is he anyway?" Childe asks as he stands up.

You gesture at the brown-haired male. "This is Mr. Zhongli. He's...someone...very sophisticated a-and he's helped me out quite a bit," you mumble. You feel your stomach knot nervously, wondering if you did fine. "Oh, and Mr. Zhongli, this is Childe," you add and gesture at the ginger as you turn to him. "He's someone I met on my way here from Wangshu Inn."

He perks up a bit. "Wangshu Inn, you say? I reckon you've met Xiao, correct?"

Your eyes widened as you suddenly remembered the Yaksha. "Do you know him?" you ask, getting a bit excited. He smiles. "Yes, he's a friend of mine," he answers. "Huh, really? I didn't take Xiao as someone who makes friends easily," you mumble. "Ah! I mean no offense to him!" you quickly add. Zhongli chuckles. "We have an interesting relationship, to say the least."

Childe was watching the pair talk, and he smirked. "Don't you have a Funeral Parlor to find?" he spoke up, causing you to flinch. "Oh, right! I almost forgot."

"Then, should we get going?" Zhongli asks, Childe shooting him a blank look before turning back to you.

"Well~ since you have Mr. Zhongli, I'll get going. Bye, girlie~" Childe says, blowing a kiss, and leaves the pair. "See you next time, Childe," you said with a wave.

"Girlie?" You turn back to him and smile sheepishly. "Yeah, he's been calling me that since we first met. I'm pretty sure he calls any girl that," you assured him when you noticed his expression.

He merely nods, and the pair continue to head towards the funeral parlor.

—⟐—

"This is the funeral parlor?" Y/n mumbles. It was a fairly beautiful building, not too small but not big and intricate like some of the other buildings.

"Did you imagine it differently?" Zhongli asks, amusement laced in his tone.

You chuckle nervously as you picture a shabby old building with coffins outside and an overall gloomy look. "Of course not~" You chuckle as you walk in.

"Why hello, dear customer~" a merry voice greets, and a girl jumps out from behind the desk. She fixes her hat, and her flowery eyes glow mischievously as she circles you.

Her red eyes trail up and down your form as you stand there in confusion. She hums to herself, a hand cupping her chin. She suddenly runs off, leaving you're even more confused as Zhongli walks up behind you. "Did the Director not come yet?" he asks, turning to you.

"Um, I d—" The girl suddenly comes back with a coffin that unnervingly looked your size. "I have the perfect coffin for you, dear miss~" she says as you stare in surprise, Zhongli sweat-dropping from behind. "So, what do you say? I'll give you a discount~" she adds with a wry grin.

"Haha, I'm not here to buy a coffin," you say, chuckling softly. "So, I'm no customer."

"Ah~ but everyone who enters this mortal realm will be a client of mine...sooner or later," she adds.

You clear your throat. "Let's hope it's later then," you mumble.

"Yes, I'm sure we all do," Zhongli says and gestures at the girl. "This is Hu Tao, the 77th Director of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor," he introduces. You blink in surprise. A child? you think.

You place a hand on your chest and smile. "Well, it's very nice to meet you, Director Hu Tao," you greet. "My name is Y/n L/n."

She smiles. "The pleasure is mine, and please, Hu Tao is fine." You nod, and she leads you to a sitting area. "So, what brings you here if it's not to buy a coffin?" she says, taking a seat across from you, Zhongli taking the other spot next to her.

"Have you heard about the missing children case?" you ask, thinking it'd be a good place to start. You weren't sure how informed people were, seeing as most people don't even want to talk about it. Which was probably why you didn't learn anything the first time you visited the Harbour.

She taps a finger against her chin in thought. "Only a little, but not much." Her eyes widen, and she fixes you with a narrowed gaze. "Don't tell me," she mumbles, having put two and two together.

You lean forward and nod softly. "I wanted to ask if you've dealt any coffins...that size," you add softly.

She purses her lips. "No, I haven't."

Your eyes widen slightly as your shoulders deflate. "Nothing?" you press, raising a hand. Hu Tao shakes her head solemnly. "No." You lean back, eyes going dark as they narrow. "Ah, I see," you mumble and get up. "Sorry for wasting your time. I'm sure a director is very busy," you say softly with a smile. Amber eyes narrow as you bow slightly.

She waves her hand with a close-eyed smile. "Haha, no worries, and you're always welcome, Y/n!"

You stand at the foot of the stairs to the Parlor, a hand rubbing your temples. Feeling dejected was putting it mildly. You're only lead ended up becoming a dead end, and now you weren't sure where to begin. You could always go to the guards and ask them or maybe try to figure out where the incidents happened. No, that wouldn't work since they most likely happened without any witnesses. Ugh, now what? Should I try the guard's office? Do they even have an office?

"Are you alright?" You flinch out of your inner turmoil and whirl around in surprise. You notice Zhongli standing behind you.

You smile. "Yeah, I was just thinking," you say and turn away. "Anyway, I should hurry and find a new lead. I'm sure those kids are scared where...ever they are," you pause, your eyes widening softly as a thought comes to mind.

What if they're dead?

The idea was only starting to settle in your mind, digging claws into your brain at the horrendous thought. You may have come the Funeral Parlor because of this idea but it never really sunk in as a possibility. 

You felt a chill run down your spine, and you pressed your lips into a thin line. Your brow twitches when you realize that you are talking to someone and quickly leave.