5) The Dream

Y/n lay in bed, her hand stretched towards the ceiling. Bits of anemo swirled to life but disappeared just as fast.

Sighing, you dropped your hand. Guess that was just a fluke. You rolled on your side and stared out the window.

It was a full moon, and its milky light shone through the window. Illuminating the inside of your room. Sighing, you turned to face the other way.

A few minutes passed, and you flipped to the other side. After another hour of that repeated process, you gave up and threw the covers off.

"Midnight walk, here I come!" you exclaimed in a whisper. You put on your shoes and leave the room. The sky was breathtaking as always, and it wasn't as cold as you thought. Y/n sucked in a deep breath, enjoying the crisp air. You let it out slowly as you opened your eyes.

Bright amber eyes locked onto yours. You jumped back, your hand reaching for your sword. Only to realize that you had left it in your room.

He tilted his head, a cocky smirk grazing his lips. "Were you going to fight me, mortal?"

You nervously stared at him, keeping quiet. "Who are you?" His eyes widened slightly. "You don't remember me?" You leaned away as he suddenly appeared right in front of you. I'm not about to say he looks like that guy from my dream! Y/n thought, so instead, she said. "No."

His eyes searched yours as he straightened to his full height. "But you recognize me, right?" You hesitantly nodded, your voice leaving you. "Do you remember falling?" Your eyes widened as you remembered the weird dream. You looked away, not wanting to say anything. You heard him sigh as he stepped into your view.

You looked the other way, and this time he teleported. "Stop doing that," he grumbled, getting in your face. You wrung your fingers together, your skin turning white. "Stop that too. You're hurting yourself." He grabbed your wrists and pried your hands apart.

You unconsciously flinched as he did it. "Do you remember my name?" You shook your head. He scoffed as he pulled you closer. "Did you suddenly lose your voice?" He smirked, "You were quite talkative that night." He stepped forward as he continued. "You came closer like this, asking who I was and what I meant by my words." His eyes narrowed as he grinned down at you. "Very bold of a mortal, might I add." His smile dropped as he stepped closer and tilted his head. "You are not from here."

Your eyes flashed in surprise. The dream! You remembered him saying that. "So, you remember."

"But that was a dream," you mumbled. Xiao stepped back and crossed his arms. "So, she speaks." He quirked his head. "I can assure you it was no dream. It was all real."

"S-so, I really," you trailed off as the memory took over again. The sensation of falling causes you to freeze in terror, your mind clouding.

Hands grabbed your shoulders as he shook you from your thoughts. You stared at him, slightly dazed. "Then you remember my name." He didn't say it as a question, but the look in his eyes said it all.

"Xiao." Your expression cleared as you turned to face him. "Adeptus Xiao and all the other stuff you said that I didn't understand, by the way."

Xiao's shoulders seemed to relax as he stared at you. "That's good," he mumbled. You raise an eyebrow. "What was that?"

His eyes narrowed as he composed himself. He released you and turned away with a scoff. "I've heard mortals give a thanks when one saves their life." He glanced over his shoulder as anemo gathered around him.

Your eyes widened, your mind flashing, to the moment you were thrown into a pair of arms. Y/n stepped forward, but he was already gone.

You huffed in annoyance as you whirled around, crossing your arms. "Jeez, if you're going to say that. At least wait for me to reply," you grumbled, pouting.