17) Two Can Play That Game

Sunlight flitted through Y/n's eyes as they fluttered open. The first thing you noticed was a familiar necklace draped over your cheek. You didn't think much of it and cuddled closer to the pillow you were hugging. You subconsciously smiled and were about to fall asleep again. But something around the back of your shoulders and across your side pulled you closer.

Huh?

You cracked your eyes open nothing seemed out of the ordinary as you scanned your slightly-lumpy blankets. You looked towards the pillow and sucked in a breath, your cheeks flushed from this rare view.

Xiao's hair lay sprawled across the pillow, the sunlight casting a soft glow over his relaxed features. His beautiful-piercing amber irises, were covered with thick lashes.

Your heart fluttered when you realized he was the one who pulled you closer. His arms around you wasn't good for your heart since that fact only increased its pace.

I need to get out! Y/n internally screamed as she shifted.

You blinked when you heard him groan softly. Your movements froze as you watched his brows scrunch together. Your gaze softened as you remembered what you'd read about the yakshas. Does he ever get to sleep like this? You mused as you massaged the wrinkle with a finger. I shouldn't interrupt this rare chance for him.

"I wonder what you're dreaming about, Xiao," you whispered to him. You knew he wasn't listening, so you continued. "I hope it's nothing too scary." You stopped and chuckled softly. "Scratch that. I bet you don't get scared by things like that." You paused, your expression saddening. "I hope it's not sad either. Those are the worst type of dreams."

You pulled your finger away and gently grabbed his hand from your waist. "I actually had one about my family a few nights back," you whispered, needing someone to share this with, even if they were asleep.

But that was enough for you.

"I dreamed that I was back in my world. Right before I took that stupid medicine." You scoffed as you remembered that shamen. "But instead of waking up in Teyvat, I was with them." You stopped as the image of your family flashed in your mind. You pulled his hand closer to your face as you loosely interlocked your fingers with his. "I didn't ever want to admit this, but." You sucked in a breath as you pressed your forehead to the back of his hand. "I really miss them," you whispered.

Silence followed your confession, but you weren't really expecting a response. You nuzzled closer to his hand, the warmth washing away the sour feeling in your mouth.

"Is that so?"

Your eyes snapped open as your gaze darted to his resting face. You blinked as you stared in confusion. Did I imagine that? His eyes slowly opened, and time seemed to stop.

Y/n had unconsciously moved closer to him while she spoke. Your faces were mere inches away, and your interlocked hands were the only things between you.

Your chest fluttered as he gazed at you with slitted eyes, unwavering from your own. He glanced at their intertwined hands, causing you to blush a deep red.

"Uh, it's not—I wasn't trying anything!" You stammered, ready to pull your hand away.

But he wouldn't let go.

You paused as his gaze remained the same as he watched your flustered state. "Um, Xiao?" He didn't say anything and pulled your hand closer to his face. He broke eye contact as he studied the back of your hand.

If you thought his eyes staring into yours made your heart flutter. Then your poor heart was doing summersaults at this point with the way, he was looking at your hand.

You closed your eyes, the world spinning from the embarrassment you felt, your heart's irregular pace not really helping.

Something soft and warm pressed against your knuckles, causing you to open your eyes. Xiao pressed a kiss against your hand, sending a rush of warmth through you as you gaped at him.

I...I don't know how to react, you thought as he watched your reaction. He smirked at your flushed expression as you avoided eye contact.

He twisted your hand so that your palm faced him. I wonder how much longer you'll avoid my eyes, he thought and placed a soft kiss against the cut from last night.

He heard you let out a small squeak as your face heated up. But you kept your head down. Taking that as a challenge, he trailed down to your wrist, nipping at the skin.

You let out a strangled breath as you snapped your gaze to his smirking expression. Ah, is he messing with me? Y/n thought incredulously. Your eyes narrowed. Well, two can play that game. You pulled his hand to you and pecked the back of his hand.

Xiao's eyes flashed in surprise, a soft hue of pink on his cheeks. His lips curled into a smirk as something flashed in his eyes. That look made your insides heat up as your resolve wavered. Maybe I can't play this game...

You forgot that his other arm was still around you until he pulled you closer. Xiao moved to tower over you, still smirking as he pinned your wrists on either side of your head. "Such a naughty human," he purred, his breath hot against your ear. You gasped as you turned away, face and neck flushing. He chuckled as he trailed his nose against the nape of your neck. "You are just opening yourself to me, human." Your breath hitched as his lips pecked your collarbone.

"I-I give," you exclaimed, your heart hammering in your ears and your body heating up was too much for you. Xiao chuckled as he flopped onto you, catching you off guard. His arms looped around you and hugged your stomach.

"You are too easy to tease," he said, smiling as he closed his eyes. You stared in stunned silence, cheeks pink from the cuteness of his actions.

You blinked as you looked away. I just thought a yaksha was cute, didn't I?