22) A Knight from the Land of Freedom

Y/n stares in awe at the dragon curled on the jade pot. You were usually someone who didn't show much emotion, and you quickly composed yourself.

"We great you, Rex Lapis," the Tianquan greets, bowing deeply. The dragon nods. "It is good to see you again, Tianquan of the Liyue Qixing." You blink in shock, lip twitching slightly. Did the dragon...just talk!? Y/n thinks, gaping in shock.

The dragon's gaze washes over the crowd, unnoticed to you everyone present begins to bow, while you stand there in dumbfounded shock. Golden eyes lock with e/c, and you feel a tug on your arm.

"Pstlower your head, traveler!" You quickly compose yourself and bow your head, raising the end of your cape/coat. You kept lifting your head to steal glimpses of the dragon.

After all, dragons were mere myths in your world, yet there was one right in front of you. Y/n couldn't quite believe her eyes.

Rex Lapis's gaze lingered on you, and his lips twitched slightly. He turns back to the Tianquan. "Others shall be joining in a moment," his deep rumbly voice sounds. The lady quirks her head. "Others?"

Just as if they had planned it, two birds gracefully descend from the sky and land on the left side. One of the birds is a mesmerizing combination of blue, teal, and white, while the other one boasts a striking mix of red, orange, and black feathers. The sight of their stunning plumage against the clear blue sky is truly breathtaking.

The two individuals stood valiantly as a majestic deer suddenly leaped against the sky's surface and landed gracefully next to them. The deer's large antlers resembled molten lava, and its fur was a stunning combination of green and brown. Suddenly, three separate lights appeared on the right side, one of which triggered a vague sense of familiarity. From the red light emerged a girl with striking pink hair and white horns, wearing a carefree smile. The icy blue light revealed a familiar blue-haired girl with red-black horns. And finally, in a flash of anemo and black tendrils, Xiao stood before them with a scowl and arms crossed, emanating an aura of power and resolve.

Your shock doubled, never mind Xiao, but why was Ganyu standing there!?

"Ah, I see." The Tianquan snaps you from your stupor as she bows again. "It's an honor to meet the Adeptus."

"Yes, well, one has come upon Morax's wishes," the bluebird says, flapping her wings. "But one has much to do"

"Cloud Retainer!" The deer says, stomping his foot.

"Silence, you old cahoot!" Cloud Retainer scoffs.

"Both of you, stop bickering," the red bird says. "One is not so pleased to be in the presence of mortals. One prefers one's quiet mountain abode."

You chuckle softly, wow, they fight like siblings.

Moon Carver turns at the chuckle and rears his head back slightly. "One does not believe this!" Cloud Retainer tilts her head. "Now what's wrong with you?"

"One believes that that human understood us," he says softly. The other two birds turn towards the crowd and take note of you.

"My~ If it isn't the mortal that Morax has told one about."

"You know of that girl?"

"Yes, one was told that she has stayed in that inn that Alatus frequents," Cloud Retainer informs. Mountain Shaper scoffs, red feathers ruffling. "How useless. That does not answer the question."

Cloud Retainer bristles and is about to speak but is interrupted.

"Enough, be mindful of the humans," Rex Lapis's voice silences the squabble.

"If one may," Moon Carver speaks up. "One believes that a human has understood our conversation. Rex Lapis tilts his head, and without asking who, he turns towards you.

Y/n had started conversing with a lady next to her, one which he recognized. It was the lady who owned the stand where he first met you.

Focusing his power on you, he noticed a faint aura from you, a bright teal color emitting from your form.

"Now let us rejoice!" The Tianquan exclaims, golden robes swishing as she raises her hand. "Rex Lapis shall hear his people!"

She brings her hand down, extending it towards the crowd, a small smile on her lips. "Now speak, and he shall listen." Rex Lapis nods and turns to look towards the crowd.

Y/n stands amongst the crowd, observing as individuals step out one by one, making their way towards the Archon. They express their troubles, questions, and worries, and in return, Rex Lapis provides a solution. You're bewildered at how he is able to come up with one on the spot. The other Adepti also follow suit and offer their solutions when it's relevant to their expertise.

While all this is happening, you try to catch Xiao's eye and steal glances at him, hoping for a moment of connection. But as always, he remains aloof, looking down at the ground as if it holds the secrets of the universe. You can't help but sigh and pout, feeling disappointed yet again.

A man steps before the Archon and bows deeply. "Oh great Rex Lapis, Geo Archon, All Mighty Morax, God of Contracts, Creator of the Yakshas and Adepti, God of Commerce, God of History, the Great Warrior God."

You watch with a slight shock as the man continues to drone out title after title, a nervous bead of sweat trickling from your brow. Wow, this is a tad awkward, you think looking away and perk up. By the looks of it, Rex Lapis felt the same.

The Tianquan closes her eyes, clearing her throat quite loudly. "Dear sir, please stop and speak of what brings you concern," she interrupts his speech of titles, a smile plastered on her face.

He quickly nods, albeit nervously, and turns back to Rex Lapis. "Please hear my woe!" the man exclaimed. "I wish to hear, with your vast knowledge, your solution regarding the cases of children disappearing off the streets."

Your eyes widen, and you turn to the man. What? The air is thick with silence, save for the hushed murmurs that echo through the area. Tension is palpable as people shift nervously, their restlessness betraying their anxiety. Even the Tianquan, typically composed and serene, seems to be on edge.

Rex Lapis, however, seems unfazed, along with the adepti and lone yaksha. You blink at Xiao's unbothered expression. Don't tell me...he knew? you thought, feeling a strange twist in your chest, but it disappeared just as fast when you realized something. Actually, I don't think I ever told him why I was coming to Liyue in the first place.

"You need not worry," his deep rumbling voice echoes through the suffocating silence. "An honorable knight from the land of wind and freedom has arrived."

His eyes trail to you as he says that last part, and you feel your heart quicken. "She shall solve this mystery."