20) Goodbye & An Encounter

Y/n let out a sigh of relief as she flops onto her bed. I have survived! You guessed right; Xiao really doesn't hold back in training. On top of that, he was just so strong, and he controlled his element flawlessly. You yourself have gotten a tensy bit better, but you still have a long way to go.

You stared at the ceiling as your mind wandered, your eyes losing focus.

"Now that I think about it, the Rite of Descension is the day after tomorrow," you mumble. That means I'll have to leave Wangshu Inn, you think sadly. Your mind drifts to all the people you've met, even if some were a pain (*cough Verr). You still enjoyed your time here, and you'd especially miss Xiao.

You lift your hand and stare at the scar on your palm. Even though it healed pretty fast, it still left a scar. I wonder what will happen to his karmic dept thing...I still don't know much about it. You scoff as you smack your hand down. I never found that book again either!

No matter how many times you've scoured the library, you never found it again. It's like it grew legs and just walked off or something. Now with only a day left you were no closer to finding anything new about it and you doubted you could ask Xiao. It was a touchy subject since his sibling perished because of the debt. You stared sadly at the ceiling and narrowed your eyes.

You slap your cheeks. "God, I'm such an idiot. It's not like I won't ever see them again." You were an emotional mess inside too, when you had to leave Mondstat...

—⟐—

"So, you're leaving today?" Verr asked as you came down. You smile as you go up to the desk. "Yeah, the Descension is tomorrow, and I heard it's in the morning, So, I'd have to leave tonight," you explained, already guessing her next question. She pursed her lips before chuckling softly. "I see. Well, this is goodbye then, huh?" She came around the table, Richie at her feet as she hugged you. "I'ma miss, my little helper," she said with a soft smile as she pulled back.

I smile as well and pat Richie's head. "Don't worry, I'll be sure to visit. I'm not sure when though," you add. The mission never really had an end date from what you knew, which wasn't much to begin with.

"Well, you shouldn't go empty-handed!" Yanxiao announces and comes over with a bag. "I've packed my specialty for the road. Be sure to enjoy it." He hands you the bag with a bright smile and clasps you on the back. "Safe travels, kid!"

I smile and turn to Verr as well. "I'll be going then." She nods, and they both wave you off as you leave the lounge. You step onto the elevator at let it take you down.

"So, you're leaving, human?" Y/n turns with a smile as she leans against the wall. Xiao was standing on the opposite side, arms crossed.

"Yeah," you say softly. Silence falls for a short while as neither says anything. The elevator stops and you close your eyes as you push off the wall. "Well bye then," you say with a smile, a bit sad that this was how'd you say goodbye to Xiao.

He watches your back for a moment and clicks his tongue. He runs after you and pulls your arm back, your head bumping his chest as he embraces you.

Your eyes widen at the sudden hug, his hand against the back of your head as he places a chaste kiss on your forehead, causing you to blush softly.

"If you awake to a knife at your throat, if monsters dig their claws into you, if death comes knocking at your door... Call out my name. Adeptus Xiao." His arms tighten around you. "And I'll be there, Y/n."

You smile, it was a little dark, but you knew he cared. You cuddle closer, your arms wrapping around him. "Thank you, Xiao."

He pulls away with a nod. "I wish you well on this mission of yours." With that he disappeared, leaving you with a soft smile and an overall lightened spirit. You turn away and go down the path leading you to the harbor.

It was still dark out, and once you left the vicinity of the inn it'd be completely dark without the lamps. Y/n continued down the trail, the night sky her only companion this time.

Blades of grass swayed with the breeze, the few trees swaying in unison. You inhale the familiar scents of dirt and foliage, a content smile on your lips. You passed hillichuri camps but didn't engage since they were all asleep. Which honestly brought you a sense of relief.

A sudden sound of water slashing through the air broke through the silence. You frown softly, annoyed that your peaceful journey was interrupted.

You were also curious, though.

Following the sound of fighting, you round a cluster of boulders and see a ginger standing in the center of unconscious (most likely dead) bodies of treasure hoarders. Your eyes trail to the twin water blades in his hands. They glowed softly, a stark contrast to the dark night around you.

The ginger looks up as if sensing something and turns to you, his blade pointed at you.

"Mind telling what you're doing here so late, girlie?" he asks, tilting his head with a sweet smile. You froze and blink in surprise, sweating slightly. Did he just call me...girlie?

You snap out of your thoughts and focus on the male before you. "I was heading to the harbor when I heard a commotion," you answer, seeing no point in lying.

He blinks curiously before sheathing his blades. "Wow, what a coincidence, so am I!" he chirps, stepping closer to you with a bow, an arm extended as he winks. "Allow me to accompany you there."

He walks past you with a laughing expression as if he didn't just slay a group of treasure hoarders. You side-eye the fallen men before joining him. It's not like you ever liked those guys anyway.

"So, what happened back there?" you ask curiously, joining his side. "Oh, the usual~ They tried to steal from me, so I beat them up."

You nod in understanding and walk in silence, the earlier serenity washing over you again. You really enjoyed walks like these.

The ginger watches your expression and how a half smile graces your lips. He was mesmerized for a second before snapping out of it. "So, what's your name, girlie?"

You blink from the trance and glance up at him. "Y/n, and yours?"

"You can call me Childe," he answers with a grin and a hand on his chest.

You nod with a smile. "It's nice to meet you, Childe." You huff a laugh, what a peculiar name.