4) Extreme Training

"Look who finally decided to wake up." Y/n suppressed a yawn as she grabbed an apple.

"Good morning to you too, Verr," you said, taking a bite. Something bumped against your calf, and you leisurely glanced down as you took another bite.

Brown eyes stared up at you as a pink tongue hung from its mouth. A paw patted your lap as you knelt in front of it.

You smiled as you ruffled the brown and white fur. "I didn't know there were dogs here too?"

"Ah yes, he's our resident forest patrol hound." Verr smiled as to dog barked proudly. You chuckled as you scratched its cheeks. "Wha~ who's a good boy?"

It barked happily, its tail thumping against the wood. "Does he have a name?"

"It's Richie," Verr answered. The dog perked up. Verr smiled as she bent over the counter. "Why don't you help Y/n here with patrol today?"

Richie barked and was already bounding to the elevator. You quickly grabbed solsettias and apples, shoving them into the bag as you called out. You raced to the elevator, and Richie sat there huffing almost smugly.

You ran across the floor, trying to catch up, but you were too late. You huffed as you stared at the drop.

A rush of deja-vu and fear rushed through your veins. You shuddered as you remembered the strange dream from a few nights ago.

The sensation of falling and the scenery around you blurred as you continued to fall. The ground came closer, and

You gasped.

Still firmly standing on the wood.

Your legs wobbled as you moved away from the edge. You shook your head, your hand over your forehead. "Just a dream. It's just a dream," you mumbled.

A male with striking amber eyes appeared in your mind. "Oi, mortal." You frowned, "Since when was my imagination this good?" You tried to forget him, but you had to admit he had the looks. You sighed. He's definitely good-looking. Way to go, mind! You huffed proudly, a soft hue of pink on your cheeks as you clenched your fist.

—⟐—

Y/n sat on a boulder as you stared out at the rolling plains. Richie was taking a nap beside you as you munched on the fruits you brought. Not that many hilichurls today.

You glanced down at Richie as a thought came to mind. "Don't tell me this one's scaring them off?" Your brow twitched in annoyance. You sighed, dropping it. "Whatever, I should still do a bit of training."

You glanced at the foot of the cliff you were on. An entire base crawled with hilichurls and mitachurls. Some even with arrows that fired elemental energy.

I see cryo, electro, and pyro

I see cryo, electro, and pyro. Not a good combination, Y/n thought. You twirled your sword before wrapping your fingers around the hand guard and flicking a switch with the other hand. You pulled the guard up as the handle extended.

"Guess I should keep my distance." Y/n twirled the polearm and sliced the air as you stood. Y/n stared down at the camp as they whirled on her. Their arrows pointed as the others rushed to the cliff. You smirked, "Just to be on the safe side." You crouched as you jumped off the cliff. A wind glider opened on your back as you twisted and struck a hilichurl with the polearm.

The wings snapped shut as you pulled the weapon out of the ashes. "One down, who's next?" A mitachurl readied its ax as it rushed you.

Y/n jumped back while slashing it. Landing low, you did a twirl on the ground. Your foot sent golden crystals across the floor and straight to the mitachurl's feet. You watched it crawling up its knees, preventing any movement.

Y/n stood as she sent a burst of geo into her blade. You slashed the air diagonally, a streak of gold lingering in the air. You smirked in satisfaction.

Y/n sprinted forward and jumped, dodging the swing of the ax. You land on the base of it and slash with your own weapon. A burst of geo turned the beast into ash. The sound of a drawstring releasing cut through the air, causing you to whirl around, but it was too late.

A freezing arrow shot into your back, causing you to stumble. "Argh!" You pulled it from your back. But you could feel the ice seeping across your skin. A flash of red caught your eye. You somersaulted, dodging the flaming arrow.

It was a diversion, and you realized it too late. The electro arrow hit in the same spot as the cryo. You stifled a scream as the ice made the electricity burst through you.

You gritted your teeth as steam came off your back. "That was a nasty blow," you groaned, smirking.

You pulled your weapon back into a sword and swiftly hit the cryo arrow out of the air. You sheathed the blade as you gathered geo into the sheath. Y/n waited patiently as the hilichurls came running. You nimbly dodged the clubs, a hand still on the hilt.

You flipped backward and landed behind the electro shooter with a smirk. Your thumb flicked the handguard, loosening the blade. You swiftly pulled out the sword. A flash of gold blinded them as crystals flew from the metal. Hitting their marks with ace.

You twirled the blade between your fingers as you watched them fall and turn to ash. You grabbed the hilt and pointed it at the cryo shooter above. "Just you and me, buddy."

It responded by firing another freezing arrow. You slashed it away as you sprinted for the post. You moved side to side, dodging the arrows.

Scaling the post, you jumped from behind and slashed the hilichurl with a burst of geo. You gently landed on the wood as you stared down at the now-empty camp.

Your eyes narrowed as you picked up the cracked cryo mask. Sighing, you jumped off the post and collected the other masks of the hilichurls and mitachurls.

You grabbed the arrows and clubs and took the stack to a nearby tree. You stuck the clubs into the dirt and hopefully put the corresponding masks together. You huffed, "Now, the hard part." Y/n turned to the two axes. "Those are gonna be heavy," you grumbled.

Let's start with the farthest one you thought as you picked up the end of the ax. You were halfway to the other ax when your foot slipped on the dirt path.

Your back hit the ground with a thud. You groaned as your back erupted in pain. You pushed the handle away as you stood up. You dusted your clothes off as something clinked against the ground.

Y/n stared down at her vision. The geo symbol with the wings of anemo. You picked up the vision and watched the shifting gold and teal gem. You kept tilting it until only the teal shined brightly in the sun.

Something dark clouded your mind as you stared at the teal vision. You clenched your fist hard enough to draw blood. You relaxed your hand, the blood dripping onto the ground.

Sighing, you wiped it off the vision and placed it back at your waist. You took a deep breath and lifted your hand to the ax. A soft breeze flew through the camp. Swirling around you as you concentrated.

You curled your fingers slightly, imagining the wind shaping into a giant hand that mirrored yours. Your hand curled around the ax, the wind following your movements.

Y/n paused and took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. You lifted your arm, the ax lifting off the ground and hovering in the air. You raised your other hand, and the other ax lifted into the air. Y/n directed both to the tree, and they embedded themselves. Their handles crossed over each other, just behind the clubs and arrows.

The wind died away, and you flopped onto the ground, staring in shock at your hands. I...did it. A smirk grazed your lips. "About time," you mumbled.