9) The Harbor

Within two days, Y/n had fully recovered and was back outside. You were currently running an errand for Yanxiao, heading to Liyue Harbor for some ingredients.

You stared across the ocean to the thriving harbor. Your face brightened as the salty air rushed past, your hair dancing in the wind.

You raced down the cliff and through the gates. The excitement was harder to hide since this was your first time seeing the harbor.

You turned as you weaved through the people and a few guards. The red buildings were different from Mondstadt. With stairs connecting them all. "So beautiful!" you breathed, taking in the city.

You stopped as you ran into a wall. I should watch where I'm going, you thought, dead-panning. A few people laugh quietly as you chuckle, muttering a sorry. You glanced around and noticed you were in a square of sorts. Many vendors sold a variety of things. There were small snacks and ingredients to jewelry and other trinkets. You pulled out the list and searched for the given ingredients.

You wandered from shop to shop as you gathered everything. Striking conversations with each vendor, trying to gauge the custom of greeting and speaking in general. You even asked if there was anything suspicious going on.

"Anything suspicious in the great harbor of the all-mighty Morax?" The man scoffed as he snapped his fan shut and wacked you. "You must be completely idiotic. To even mention something so absurd."

You took a step away from the man, a hand on your cheek. "I apologize, sir," you mumbled, lowering your head.

You had learned that the people of Liyue spoke with etiquette. Not to mention, people with money and higher status, were greatly admired.

His fan snapped open as he glared from behind it. "You travelers think you can strut around however you like. And dare to speak to someone like me!"

The vendor gave you a look of pity, unable to step in. Your eyes widened as a sudden wave of rage coursed through you. Your eyes sharpened as you glared at the man menacingly.

"What seems to be the problem this evening, good sir?" You snapped out of it as someone stepped behind you

"What seems to be the problem this evening, good sir?" You snapped out of it as someone stepped behind you. You glanced up to see a man with dark brown hair and amber highlights. He wore traditional clothing with a dragon etched in gold catching your eye.

Your eyes narrowed as he seemed to glow even more when he gave the man a close-eyed smile. He looks like someone very rich, and he's very bright.

"M-Mr. Zhongli?" He swished his fan, avoiding eye contact. His eyes wandered to you and filled with disgust. "It is nothing someone of your status should worry about. I was merely teaching this traveler of our customs." Mr. Zhongli's smile seemed to darken as he opened his eyes, a shadow falling over his face.

"I don't recall violence being something that Morax allows." The man flinched, but it was barely noticeable. "I beg your pardon? I would never lay my hands on a fragile little female," he announced, a sharpness in his eyes as he glared at you. He seriously just called me fragile.

Y/n tilted her head as she smirked, the man's eyes narrowing in confusion. Your hand was still over your cheek. With your finger, you scratched the wound, so it looked worst.

"Why are you lying?" The man stared in horror as Mr. Zhongli turned to you. You stared with doe eyes as tears pricked your eyes. "It really hurt when you hit me, sir," you mumbled, letting a tear fall.

Mr. Zhongli leaned down as he brushed against your hand. The close proximity throws you off. "May I see your wound, miss?"

Composing yourself, you pulled your hand away to reveal your reddened cheek. A bit of blood on your hand. You blinked. I didn't think it'd start bleeding!

His hand cupped your cheek as he took a closer look. His eyes narrowed as he silently studied your face. He rose to his full height and glared over his shoulder, his hands tucked into his sleeves. "You say you would never hurt a lady. Then what is this?"

He lifted your chin to the side with his fan, showing the reddened cheek. A streak of blood coming from the cut.

"You dare to blame me! I would never touch a lady!" He snapped his fan shut, and in a dramatic flourish, he whirled on the vendor. "She's the one who hit her!"

"?"

This guy! Did he really just—

"..."

Zhongli stared dumbfounded. Also not believing that this guy tried to blame the vendor.

The poor girl looked around, startled and pale in shock. "M-me?!" Your brow twitched as you slowly turned to the guy. Now you were pissed. How dare he try to blame it on her.

A hand on your shoulder stopped you. "Sir, you make such absurd remarks." Zhongli leveled the man with a glare. "To dare and blame the one who feeds you such delicacies. It's because of people such as her that keep this harbor thriving."

He turned his back on the man. "Keep that in mind as you walk these streets. Morax watches every move."

You blinked as a menacing aura surrounded him. Zhongli turned to you and gave you a sweet smile. "Shall we get that wound checked?"

Zhongli spread an ointment on the scratch, and placed the bandage over it. "It seems, you making it look worst wasn't a good idea." You jumped and looked away. "Oh, you caught that."

He smiled, "Only a fool wouldn't." He paused as he thought for a moment. "I guess that man would count as one, though."

He rose to put away the medicine. "What was it that caused such an uproar so early in the morning?"

You drummed your fingers against your knuckles. "I was just asking if he had noticed anything...suspicious going on."

"Oh, any particular reason?" Your eyes narrowed in thought. It's best if I don't tell anyone about the mission.

"Any particular reason, you are asking?"

Zhongli's lips curved in surprise before he smirked. "Just curious."

"I see."

An awkward silence fell, and you decided it was time to head back. "I thank you for your hospitality, but I think it's time I returned," you announced, rising from your seat.

Zhongli turned around and gave you a bright smile. "Allow me to see you out." You blinked. See me out? You froze and gave him a quizzical look.

He tilted his head, still smiling. You stared in thought. Wait, this must be a Liyue custom! You quickly turned to him. "O-okay!"

Zhongli chuckled as he led you to the door and onto the streets. "It was nice meeting you, traveler." You tentatively smiled, "Yes, thank you for your help."

Zhongli watched as you merged with the crowd, your h/c hair, a stark contrast to the dull colors around you.

"She is as Alatus describes her to be." A stunning crane waded through the waters. "But why must one act as a bird?" Zhongli chuckled as he watched Cloud Retainer shake one of her legs in disgust.

"She is quite beautiful, don't you think?" Zhongli asked as he smiled softly. Cloud Retainer flapped her wings. "That much one can see, but she hides her beauty beneath such rags."

Zhongli sweats slightly, smiling. You think that of anyone who isn't in something skin-tight, he thought.