Part 8: You Broke Your Promise

I was still mad at Caleb the next morning. I had been trying so damn hard to get along with him and try to help, but he trashed that and frankly, I wasn't planning to try again.

"You look pretty." My mum smiled through the yawn as I walked into the he kitchen. "Wait, is that my shirt?"

I looked down at the green leave print cami top I matched with a pit of High waisted black ripped denim mom shorts. "Yup."

"And the shoes!" She exclaimed.

The black lace up leather boots with a stacked heel weren't hers. "Nope, these are mine."

She furrowed her eyebrows before running her eyes. "Oh. Sorry, I'm exhausted."

"Didn't you get any sleep?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No. I was finishing my shift at the hospital and then Caleb came in and I felt obligated to treat him."

"Caleb?" I asked, feeling an unexpected uneasiness inside me. "Why?"

"I was actually hoping you could tell me that." My mum said. "He wouldn't tell me anything."

I ignored her question. "What happened to him?"

"Black eye, cuts all over his face, a slightly fractured wrist." My mum told me.

I felt my jaw clench in anger. He broke his promise. He went after Ben even though he promised me he wouldn't. Not only did he reject my help, he also broke the promise he made me.

"So do you know what happened?" My mum asked.

I dropped my apple back in the fruit basket, kissed my mum on the cheek and grabbed my denim jacket. "I have to go mum. I'll see you later."

In no time I was in my car and driving to the Spears' house. I didn't bother knocking when I got there, I knew his parents wouldn't be home so I barged in and went straight into the kitchen. As expected I was met by a topless Caleb. He looked up at me, his eyes wide from surprise and his mouth stuffed with a sandwich. The colour of the skin surrounding his right eye was purple, and a scab was forming on the right side of his forehead. His lip was cut and it looked awfully deep and fresh. As angry as I was, I didn't like seeing him in this state.

He swallowed it down quickly and leaned back in his chair. "Good morning baby gir--"

"You broke your promise!" I cut him off. "You promised me you wouldn't hurt him and you did just that!"

He rolled his eyes. "I know Abbie. I'm sorry--"

"No you're not." I shook my head. "You made a promise just to get me off your back. You didn't mean it. You never intended on keeping it."

"I did!" He argued. "You managed to calm me down Abbie, I don't know how but you did. But then when I was alone, it all got back to me and I took advantage of the situation."

"Really? You don't say." I remarked. "Stop bullshiting me Caleb."

"Why do you find it so hard to believe me?" He asked.

I glared at him, furrowing my lips. "Hmm, I wonder." I said sarcastically. "Maybe because you've done nothing but lie to me and break my trust."

"Abbie--"

"You don't understand how hard it has been for me to be civil with you, and to not reply to you with bitchy remarks. I helped you when you needed someone to talk to even though I knew that if your brother found out he's be fuming." I told him. "And you don't even give a shit." Caleb opened his mouth to defend himself but I cut him off. "Whatever, I'm gonna be late to school."