Part 22: Prom Ditch

During the week Dan and I decided to once again try to sort it out and once again he promised me he'd get over my friendship with Caleb and just let it go. But the difference this time was that I wasn't going to put my hopes up of that actually happening.

It had been a week since the awkward dinner at Dan's house and this weekend we decided to go out alone for a date instead of spending the evening with his family and his number one enemy, AKA his twin brother.

I also decided that this evening I would ask him about Prom. There was only one week left and he hadn't actually invited me.

"Have I told you you look beautiful?" Dan winked.

"Yes you have." I laughed. "Thank you."

"Have you had fun tonight?"

I nodded. "Yeah, thank you for this."

Dan was about to speak but the dessert was coming our way.

I took the opportunity to take steer of the  subject. "So prom is on Friday."

Dan avoided any eye contact with me. "It is."

"Have you bought your suit yet?" It was a trick question.

That's when he sighed before looking up at me from his ice cream. "Abbie, there's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?"

"I can't go prom with you."

I felt my eyebrows shoot up and my jaw slightly drop. "What do you mean?"

"Friday is match day and--"

"Oh my god." I laughed humourlessly.

"Abbie, I know prom means a lot to you, but this match is really important." Dan argued.

"When were you going to tell me?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Dan you supposedly know how important this is to me, I keep on mentioning it, you never denied it even mentioned you wouldn't go, for god sake, you fought with your brother over it and now what?" I exclaimed, getting really frustrated.

"That's because I thought--"

"No you didn't." I shook my head. "You knew you weren't going."

"Abbie I'm sorry."

"Spare it Dan," I snapped, getting up from the table. "I just wish you could have told me before I sent my dress to be altered."

I heard Dan calling after me but I ignored him and stormed out of the restaurant.

I found myself calling a taxi before dialling my best friends number.

"Yo wassup?"

"Bella are you home?"

"Yeah why?"

"I'm coming over."

////

"Abbie are you okay?" Bella asked, giving me a drink. "Aren't you meant to be on a date with Dan right now? Why did you take the taxi and bit his car?"

"No, yes and because my date is a complete dick." I told her.

"What did Dan do?"

"He told me he can't take me to prom."

"Can't or won't?"

"He has a match."

"Like a--"

"Football match yes." I told confirmed.

"Oh hell no." Bella laughed from disbelief. "He's ditching you for a football match?"

"Indeed."

"And when was he planning to tell you?" She asked.

"Who knows." I remarked.

"But your dress--"

"I'm going to have to sell it--"

"No." Bella shook her head. "You're going to prom."

I looked at her as if she's crazy. "I'm can't go to prom alone."

"You're not going to go alone, you're gonna go with us."

"Bella I'm not third wheeling." I argued.

"Abbie, you can't miss prom."

I sighed. "It looks like I'll have to."