Part 31: Explanations

Saturday. Weekend. I've been waiting for this day all week, and the closer to it I go the further it seemed away. But it was here, freedom. 

"How happy are you about the weekend finally being here?" My mum asked, as we enjoyed our morning coffee in the garden.

"You can't even imagine." I told her.

"You've dealt pretty well with this whole situation sweetheart." 

I smiled. "I tried. It was so difficult to hold myself from just collapsing to the ground and crying--" 

I was interrupted by the buzz of my phone.

"Who is it?" My mum asked as I stared at the screen, debating whether I should answer it or not.

"Grace." It was the first time I had spoken her name in a week.

"Are you going to answer it?"

I didn't have to reply because I found myself picking up my phone and binging it to my ear. 

"Hello?"

"Abbie I'm so glad you answered."

"What do you want?" My voice was harsh, just as I intended it to be.

"I want to meet up. I want to talk to you about everything and explain this--"

"I really don't think this is a good idea." I argued. 

"Please Abbie." She was desperate, and I was completely loving it. "I understand that you're upset and hate me but please just let me explain everything from my point of view."

I stayed silent.

"Please?"

I let out a sigh and gave in. "Fine."

"Really?"

"Yeah, let's just get this over and done with."

"Are you free today?"

"When?"

"20 minutes? At the cafe next to school. You know the one we used to always--"

"Yeah I know." I hushed her. "I'll be there in 20 minutes." 

"Thank you."

I hung up and let out a frustrated breath. 

"Are you going?" My mum asked.

I nodded. "I'm not gonna take anything she says into consideration. But if I don't go neither of them will give up so I just want to get it out of the way."

"You're doing the right thing." My mum smiled. 

I kissed her on the cheek. "Gotta go."

"Good luck honey."

***

She was already there when I arrived. 

"Do you want to order--"

"No I'm not planning to stay here for long." I told her uninterested.

She sighed as I took my seat across the table.

"I'm glad you decided to come out--"

"Please just get to the point." I said leaning back in my seat, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Okay." She nodded. "I wish I could explain this in a way that makes sense, but it doesn't Abbie. I never wanted to hurt you, I love you Abbie, you've been my best friend for years."

"Been." I agreed.

"Abbie I'm sorry. I really sincerely am." She pressed. "I was always on your side, I always understood you."

"But?"

"But when we were in France and he started pouring his heart out about how hurt he is by you and Caleb I started seeing his side as well." She admitted. "I didn't say anything because I felt bad."

I laughed humourlessly. "So you thought that instead of verbal support, fucking him was the better option?"

"You make it sound so horrible."

"That's because it is!" I pointed out. "You slept with my boyfriend! How is that not horrible?"

"I said I'm sorry Abbie."

"And you think that's going to cut it? You think a word of an apology is going to make up for ruining a five year relationship?" I asked.

"Never."

"Then what is this? Why am I here?"

"I haven't finished what I started saying."

"Go on then." I took a bored breath.

"At first it was nothing Abbie. I can promise you that. It happened once and then again and again--"

"I fucking get it okay?" I snapped, was this girl being serious?

"But then suddenly one might everything changed. I caught feelings--"

"No." I shook my head with a laugh. "You must be fucking having a laugh."

"This isn't a joke Abbie." She insisted. "It was unexpected--"

"And it just happened?" I said sarcastically. 

She nodded. "It did." 

I was burning, from head to toe. I hadn't felt this much anger since I saw the text. I was ready for the worst when I had come here , but I was not expecting this.

"I'm done." I said standing up.

"No, Abbie please!" Grace begged. "I want to finish this."

I was at the verge of tears but I couldn't show it. I couldn't not be weak in front of her.

I took a seat again as she continued to talk. 

"I've talked to him about it." 

"Of course you have."

"He feels the same way Abbie."

"Of course he does."

It was hurting, so much more than I thought it would considering I hated his guts.

"Abbie I wanted to ask for you blessing."

My eyebrows shot up and my eyes popped. Did I just hear right? Did my ex best friend invite me here to apologise and then ask me for my blessing? Was this a joke?

I shook my head. "Is this really happening?"

"Abbie I'm doing this because I still respect you. You hate me but I will never forget our friendship. I care for you and I'll forever be sorry for what I did. But I've fallen for Dan, I truly have and I just want to be honest with you."

"Oh yeah, you're honest alright." 

"Abbie just give me a reply. Do we have your blessing?"

I sighed. "Fine." 

I was surprised by my own words but I couldn't drag this on for any longer. Dan and I were never going to be back together even if he wanted to, cheating was unforgivable in my books. Grace and I were never going to be friends again or anywhere near friends. Letting them be together would put me at peace and finally get rid of them from my life. I would finally be done.

"Really?"

"Look, go off with him. Be together. Do whatever you want. You're both as bad as each other." I shrugged. "You've got my blessing and that's it. I want you out of my life. Both of you. We're in the same school and we have lessons together, that's it. We're not friends, and we'll never ever be friends again. I'm done with this whole situation because it's exhausting and I deserve better."

"You do."

"You've got my blessing." I confirmed. "So if that's it, I'm going to leave now."

"Thank you Abbie, really, thank you."

"Whatever." I shrugged, getting up and gathering my stuff. "Have a nice life."