Part 20: Prom Shopping

Prom shopping is usually super exciting, unless it's raining outside, and the wind is so strong that it could knock out the glass in the window.

Nevertheless, the girls and I managed to keep the excitement alive. After all, prom didn't happen every week.

"So how is Dan going to suit your dress?" Grace asked as we ordered our lunch.

I shrugged. "I don't know if I'm even going yet to be honest."

"What? Did he not ask you?" Bella exclaimed.

I shook my head. "I know, it's weird."

"Prom is in two weeks." Grace pointed out.

"I know."

"What going on then?"

"I don't know."

"Is it because of the recent fights?" Bella asked.

I shrugged. "Might be. But we always make up. Would he really cancel prom for that?"

"Abbie you have to speak to him about that--"

"Guys chill." I laughed. "I'm sure we're going, he just hasn't asked yet. Remember, 5 years."

Bella nodded. "You're right. I can ask Connor to ask Dan if you want."

I shook my head. "There's no need for that."

"What about you Grace? Who are you going with?" Bella asked.

"Remember Michael?"

"As in your hairdressers son Michael?" I asked.

Grace nodded. "Yeah, he asked me out so, I guess him."

"Wait, when did he ask you out?"

"Last week."

"You got a hair cut last week?"

"Bella, he's in my and Grace's Chem class." I pointed out.

"Oh shit, he goes to our school." Bella exclaimed. "I knew he seemed familiar."

Grace and I exchanged a look and rolled out eyes. As I was doing so my eyes landed on the clock hanging on the restaurant wall. "Oh shit."

"What's wrong?" Bella asked.

"I need to go guys." I told them. "I have a dinner with the in-laws."

"Have fun!" Grace smiled, as I grabbed my bags.

"Ask him." Bella told me. "Ask Caleb."

I shook my head while walking away. "It's not going to happen."

//////

"Abbie, we started to think you're not gonna come." Mary smiled as she opened the door.

"I'm so sorry, I was shopping and I lost track of time." I apologised giving her a hug.

"It's okay sweetie, come through, the table is set."

I followed her into the dining room where everyone was sitting, and by everyone, I meant everyone.

Dan's dad smiled at me, Dan gave me the usual greeting-in-front-of-parents-at-a-dinner-table peck, and Caleb, well, I actually dared to look his way and he pretended I wasn't there by sitting on his phone. Lovely.

"So what were you shopping for?" Mary asked as we are.

I looked at Dan directly. "Prom." He didn't even flinch, too preoccupied with the food on his plate.

"That's lovely, did you end up getting a dress?" She asked.

I nodded. "I'll show you a picture later."

"How exciting." Mary grinned. "You'll look beautiful."

"Thank you." I smiled.

"Caleb, are you going? You haven't mentioned anything about it." Derek asked.

Caleb looked up at his parents and shook his head with a laugh. "Are you crazy? I'm not going prom."

"Why not?" His mum asked.

"Maybe because it's stupid and pointless?" Caleb replied.

"How?"

"All the girls spend hundreds on a dress they'll wear once, they'll get drunk, spill alcohol all over it, most Virgins will lose it on the night and then blame the boys for taking advantage, who are basically in the same state as the girls if not worse." Caleb explained. "It's stupid and pointless."

"Just ignore him." Dan muttered.

Caleb heard though, and his head snapped in Dan's direction. "You don't wanna go either, and you're just going because your girl wants to."

'Your girl'. So Caleb realised that I was his brothers girlfriend and still decided it would be a good idea to try and kiss me. There could only be one explanation for that, he never meant it, it was in the heat of the moment.

"No guy would voluntarily go Caleb." Dan replied. "But you do it for your girl, which you don't have--"

I kicked him under the table to stop and Dan gave me a glare in return.

"It was lovely sitting here with most of you, but I need to go." Caleb said getting up, obviously angry at his brothers comment. He kissed his mum on the cheek, before apologising to her and his dad and leaving.

"That was harsh." I told Dan.

"Oh come on--"

"No, Abbie is right." Derek agreed. "Dan there was no need to bring that up."

"He was only giving his opinion about prom." Mary added.

Dan rolled his eyes.

"Thank you for the dinner Mary," I smiled getting up. "But I think it's time for me to go."

"Abbie sweetheart--"

"No Mary," I shook my head. "Dan hasn't really been himself recently, and honestly, I'm just sick of it."

Dan stared at me in shock that I was saying this in front of his parents. "Abbie, you know why that is."

"Yeah because we've talked about it Dan, several times and every time you promise me you'll get over it, and you never do." I reminded him. "So I'm sorry Derek, Mary, I was looking forward to this dinner but I think it's time for me to leave."

"Let me walk you out." Mary said standing up and leading me to the door.

I turned around just before walking out. "I'm so sorry Mary--"

"It's okay Abbie." She reassured. "He deserves that, I understand why you're mad."

"Thank you Mary."  I smiled, giving her a hug and leaving to get in my car and drive away. That was a failure, a big fat failure, and once again, Caleb was the subject of it.