Part 15: Paris Here We Come

5:25AM - my bed

Oh the joy of waking up this early in the morning for a trip that is bound to be everything but smooth and peaceful.

I skipped breakfast, feeling way too nervous to eat, and instead decided to get dressed and finish packing. I slipped on a black Nike hoodie, a pair of black skinny jeans with rips all over and my favourite black lace up heeled boots. I hated packing, it was such a challenge. You could never completely trust the weather lady so it would be good to pack for all weather types just in case but at the same time, when you're on a school trip for a week your luggage is very limited and you're bound to end up only wearing two things switching between them every two days. My packing technique: throw in anything you grab until it's full, and then Work with what you've got.

6:00 - airport

Most of the class was already there when I arrived, and by the looks I was getting, I could tell that rumours had been spread during my absence about my absence.  That's the thing about high school, even if I were to tell them the truth that I was being held hostage for a whole day and nearly got killed by a gang that Caleb owed money to, they would either not believe me or ignore it and make up stupider stories like the fact I was abducted by aliens, or my little sister pushed my off the roof or something, so if I didn't wanna go insane during this trip I had to just ignore them.

"Hey." My head shot up to the sound of the familiar voice.

"Hey."

"Do you wanna grab a coffee before the flight?" Dan asked. "I wanna talk."

I nodded in agreement following him to one of the airport cafe's.

If someone asked my how I felt when sitting across my own boyfriend in that cafe, awkward would be an understatement. We didn't speak for what felt like ages and only when the coffee came, the silence was broken by our thank you's to the waitress and Dan decided to speak.

"Saturday morning shouldn't have worked out like that."

"You think?" I remarked.

"I'm sorry Abbie." Dan put his hand over mine on the table and I suddenly felt more at ease. "I over reacted. I jut don't understand how and why your relationship with Caleb changed so quickly?"

I sighed. "I don't know Dan. It just happened. I reached out when he needed help and after he opened up to me I couldn't exactly just ditch him and treat him like trash again could I?"

Dan pursed his lips. "What now?"

I shrugged. "He's not a bad person Dan. Yeah sure, he used to be, he used be awful. But he's changed."

Dan opened his mouth to interrupt me but I quickly spoke. "I know it sounds stupid and cheesy but he has. I love you Dan, and I want you to accept the fact that I actually like Caleb, and after recent events, he's been a friend to me."

Dan shook his head. "I just want you to be safe Abbie. I know what actually happened on Friday, I know my brother and I know who he hangs around with and what he does."

What? He knew? Dan knew all along?

"Dan, how long--"

"I've always known." He told me. "I've seen him race, I've seen him win but I've also seen him lose and I've seen the consequences of that." He was looking at my black eye when he said that before looking at my cut lip and fractured arm.

"Dan--"

"You're such an amazing person Abbie. You're protecting him even though you know you could have been killed because of him. Because of his stupid games." Dan shook his head. "I love you for that, but it also scares the shit out of me because I know how this could end."

"Dan, it happened. He's sorry." I told him. "He knows it's his fault and he's never going to forgive himself for it even if I tell him to, that's a big enough punishment don't you think?"

"So that's it? You're fine with it?"

I nodded. "I've forgiven him. I'm fine. I'm alive. I'm here with you and we're about to go Paris together. Why ruin all these positives by thinking of the past?"

Dan stood up and held his hand out to me. I took it and he hugged me carefully, kissing me on the forehead. "I love you, you know that right?"

"Of course." I laughed looking up at him. "I love you too."

He snaked his arm around my waist and led me back to our class but just before we reached the group o stopped and looked at him. "Dan, I want you to promise me something."

"Hmm?"

"Promise me you'll be civil." I told him. "Promise me you'll let yourself and Caleb have a good time. No fights, no arguments, no evil glares."

Dan sighed. "I promise."

I smiled, giving him a kiss. "Thank you."

We landed a few hours later. A coach was waiting for us outside the airport but before we were allowed to board, Madame Blanc asked us to crowd around her.

"Now, as you know, a few French families have kindly offered places in their homes for you as students." She reminded us. "Some of you will be in pairs, some alone and some in bigger groups depending on the amount of space."

Monsieur Deschamps continued. "We have chosen your groups for you." A loud groan erupted throughout our crowd. This was bound to end bad. "No arguments no buts no ifs nothing. We chose them for both your and your carers safety, because we know how some of you are when you're together."
He had a point.

"Okay, Rebecca, Peter, Connor and Lacey, you're with the Lebrethon family." Madame Blanc read out.

"Bella and Ryan, you're with the Longlais'."

"Grace and Dan," Monsieur Deschamps read out, "You're with the Randalls."

"Tyler, you're with Monsieur Pierre." Madam Blanc told him.

"What? I'm alone?" He exclaimed.

Both teachers sent him a glare. "Why are you surprised?"

"And, you're not alone Tyler, Monsieur Pierre will keep you company." Caleb teased, getting a laugh from everyone. Caleb. He hadn't been called out yet. I scanned the crowd searching for any other unmentioned people but there was no one. Oh no--

"Caleb and Abbie, you're gonna be with the Gutte's." I could feel Dan's hands tense around my waist at my teachers words. I peaked at Caleb who was evidently avoiding any eye contact with me or Dan. Why? Why did this have to happen? What have I done to deserve this? I mean les face it, Dan may have promised me to be civil, but after this news, that promise is bound to be broken.

I placed my hand over Dan's on my waist. "It's okay Dan." I whispered.

"Now that that's settled, let's hop onto the coach and get going, the family's are waiting." Monsieur Deschamps said, before rushing us all onto the bus.
Dan and I sat in silence until his stop, which was the first one.

"Grace and Daniel, Randall family are waiting, remember the behaviour and manners, no swearing, no fighting, no violence, remember the health and safety rules." Madame Blanc reminded. "The family has your parents numbers and ours if anything was to happen. Have fun, behave, get to know the family, and get some sleep because the coach will pick you up tomorrow at 9am."

I gave Dan a kiss and told him I would be fine, but he didn't seem to believe me. Grace bent in to whisper that she'll take care of him which calmed me down slightly.

Tyler's stop was next, and as he got off the bus, Caleb and Ryan took it upon themselves to remind him about condoms and safe sex. The jokes were cruel but even the teachers bit back a smile.

Caleb and I were next. After the whole health and safety speech we jumped off the coach and greeted the Gutte family. They seemed pleasant and had a son around Holly's age and a daughter who was 10.

Caleb and I didn't speak much, and I knew that it was because of Dan.

When Madame and Monsieur Gutte announced bed time I couldn't be happier, this day had to end in order of the next one hopefully being better.