Chapter 26

Peri

I wake up to the sound of a huge truck pulling up the street. I look at the clock and see it's 5 am. I slowly get out of bed and see Ray snoring softly on the sofa. I smile at the noises he makes and then slowly open the door and step outside. There's an army of people going inside Aidan's house and coming out with boxes and furniture pieces. My heart stops in my chest. Is he moving? How could he do this to me? This is insane!

I walk to his house and enter without being invited. I see everything is wrapped up, and I forget how to breathe. I really thought this fear of his would go away, but I see now how terribly wrong I've been.

"What are you doing in here? Who let you in?" I hear his voice and get startled. All my fury comes rushing on me as I turn around and face him.

"You fuckin' coward! You're moving?" I hiss at him, and he rolls his eyes.

"I don't think that's any of your concern." He says coldly.

"None of my concern? Three weeks ago, we were making love upstairs, and now you sneak out at dawn and move?" I hiss at him again, but he doesn't react in any way.

"We were having sex, not making love! There is a difference." He says and I feel my heart breaking inside my chest. Not even Ray's presence here can stop me from feeling crushed by Aidan's words. "Besides, your boy toy in here. Or doesn't he satisfy you well enough?" He says with sarcasm.

"You're a piece of shit, Aidan! I can't believe I thought I ever loved you!" I tell him as coldly as possible. I can't let him see how broken I am right now.

"And yet, I do remember you saying those exact words." He says, taking a step closer to me. "Why did you come here, Peri? You wanted me to fuck you one last time?" He says as he reaches out to touch me but I take another step away from him.

"I came here to tell you that you're a coward and a scumbag. Have a great fuckin life!" I tell him and storm out of his house, feeling my entire body burning up. My vision blurs with tears, and my head is spinning. I need to cool down. I barely make it to the pool and step inside it, still dressed. I lay down on the steps and place my head on the edge of the pool, letting go of my emotions. I fall asleep in the water, feeling disgusted that I ever let Aidan touch me.

I wake up again when a pair of arms wraps around my waist and legs and lifts me up from the water. When I open my eyes, I see Ray carrying me towards the guesthouse. I close my eyes again and feel another tear roll down my cheek. He places me on the couch and goes searching for a towel. He dries my face and then my neck and shoulders.

"I'll just put on a new nightgown. Don't worry!" I tell him and look at the clock on the wall. It's 7 am. When I return, Ray is sitting on the couch, his chuckles turning white from how badly he is squeezing the armrest.

"It's too early for breakfast. Let's get some more sleep!" I tell him, raising my hand to invite him to sleep next to me. He looks at me conflicted. "The couch is wet. Come here!" I tell him, and he finally stands up. I can see his jaw clenching. He gets in bed and lays down next to me, facing up.

"I got very scared when I woke up and didn't see you in your bed. He says slowly, as if he's choosing his words.

"I'm sorry! I got a flash and went outside to cool down." I lie to him and feel a sting in my heart.

"I got even more scared when I saw you on the pool edge. I thought you've drowned!" He says, visibly pained. I turn towards him, and gently turn his head so he looks at me.

"I'm sorry for scaring you!" I tell him and then Instinctively give him a short kiss. I pull away immediately and look at him ashamed.

"Do you think any other Pixie has ever tried experiencing the bond as a human?" He asks me, and I smile relieved that he's not pushing this even further.

"I honestly haven't given it any thoughts. But I don't think they ever did. After all, turning human means you eventually die." I tell him and he frowns.

"But you also get to have a real family." He says and I smile. "And feel all of these things." He says as he runs his fingers up my arm and towards my shoulder.

"Yes! You do!" I say quickly so he doesn't notice how distracted I am by his touch.

"We could stay here until our children are grown up and then return to Neverland. Sure, we'll be humans, but at least we won't grow old there. We could live and love forever!" He says, and my heart does a happy jump.

"That sounds like a lovely plan! Now, let's get a little more sleep." I tell him, and he smiles at me. He pulls me closer, and I place my head against his chest and fall asleep to the sound of his beartbeat.