Chapter 2: Wei Wuxian's arrival

Lan Xichen was completing an assignment at his desk when his uncle came rushing into his home. Rushing was certainly not allowed in Gusu. But his uncle was aware, and Lan Xichen did not feel the need to point it out to him. Instead he took a different approach to stop this improper behavior, after all Lan Qiren would not be acting this way without good reason.

"Uncle, what has you so upset?" Lan Xichen asked.

"That... That boy" Lan Qiren spat as he spoke. "H-He's already broken three rules." Lan Xichen paid no mind to the fact that his uncle had started to pace back and forth in front of him.

"I'm assuming that young master Wei turned up alright" Lan Xichen had heard of the Jiangs' arrival from Lan Wangji and had also been made aware of their less than warm welcome. His brother had never been good at communicating with others. Or at breaking the rules, even a rule as silly as needing the physical invitation. The Jiangs had obviously been expected and could've been let in immediately. Instead his brother had gone to talk to him who had made the executive decision to permit the Jiangs access.

The disciple Lan Xichen had sent to invite the Jiangs inside had later reported that Wei Wuxian had already gone to retrieve the invitation and would be arriving later. Lan Xichen had been concerned about it getting late but it seemed he had worried for nothing. Wei Wuxian had turned up alright.

Lan Qiren explained, using rather colorful language, how he had not only been jumping around the rooftops drinking alcohol but had also tried to bribe Lan Wangji who had caught him in the act. Lan Xichen smiled internally at the thought of his brother's reaction to such a thing happening. Unwilling to speak up but still expecting people to behave. Not that it was all that unreasonable, after all most people, young or old, knew of and respected Lan Wangji as the talented second young master of Lan.

But it seems like Wei Wuxian lived up to his reputation. Lan Xichen had heard plenty of the boy, about how he refused to do what he was told, that he refused to respect authority, and that he loved to tease people. But Wei Wuxian was also known as a talented and promising young cultivator and so Lan Xichen was looking forward to meeting him. However he was also certain that his easily perturbed brother and uncle would have a rough six months ahead of them.

Alongside Wei Wuxian had also been the arrival of Jiang Wanyin, the future sect leader of the Jiang's. He was known as the lesser of the two. Which Lan Xichen thought was unfair, after all Jiang Cheng could hardly be called an unskilled cultivator. Known as the fifth most handsome man, he possessed good looks, good talents, and a good name. It was only in contrast with his talented brother that people dared to look down on him.

Lan Xichen had made special note of him since it was very important to keep good relations with current sect leaders as well as the future ones. It was expected of him and so he complied with his uncle's wishes. When Lan Qiren was done with his rant he seemed much calmer and after collecting himself he bowed to his nephew and went to bed early.

Not long after his uncle had left Lan Wangji turned up. He was equally as upset as his uncle had been. But unlike his uncle who had been running around, his brother stood still by the door. His hands clenching and unclenching as he was processing what had happened earlier that day.

"Brother, why don't you come sit down?" Lan Xichen said with a polite smile offering Lan Wangji the seat of the chair next to his. The younger man did what was asked of him. "I heard you encountered young master Wei. Did it not turn out alright?"

"No" Lan Wangji furrowed his brow.

"So what did he do? Uncle mentioned something about trying to bribe you"

"Mm" Lan Wangji nodded slightly "He said he would provide me with two smiles for my silence. One on my face and one for my stomach." Seems like young master Wei had a taste for good alcohol. Although Lan Xichen had never tried it himself, emperor's smile was being touted as the best in all of Gusu.

Lan Xichen couldn't help but laugh. Lan Wangji was a man of few words, and Wei Wuxian had specifically offered to buy his silence. But young master Wei had greatly underestimated Lan Wangji' s integrity as he was also a man who could not be bought. In the end he had probably achieved the opposite of his goal as Lan Xichen assumed that Lan Wangji had extended the punishment as a result, after all bribing was also not allowed in Gusu.

"How many times will he need to write down the rules he broke?"

"Twenty"

"You went easy on him?" Lan Xichen was surprised, but perhaps his brother felt bad about having caused Wei Wuxian to walk back and forth to Gusu for no reason.

"Mm"

"Did he not appreciate your generosity?"

Lan Wangji frowned in response. "He said he pitied the women who look up to me for not seeing how unlikable of a person I am."

"He certainly made a lot of assumptions after only your second encounter" Lan Xichen said to reassure his brother who seemed quite upset by the words of Wei Wuxian. Many people didn't know this because of the way he looked and acted, but Lan Wangji was a very soft person, easily affected by the words of others.

"It's getting late. Perhaps Wei Wuxian was just having a bad day. I'm sure he'll see what a good person you are soon enough." Lan Xichen reassured his brother.