Chapter 21: Overheard Conversation

Jiang Cheng had made it a habit to spend as much of his free time as possible in the woods outside the cloud recesses. If there weren't any people around him, there was no one who could judge him. That's why when he heard someone speaking he had initially decided to sneak away, hoping not to be found out.

Then he recognized the voice. It was his brother. Who was going on and on about something. But to his surprise the person who had to endure his ramblings was not Huaisang but Wangji, who was peacefully walking by his side.

He came here voluntarily? Jiang Cheng couldn't believe it. The man who had just a week ago chided him about being too talkative was casually strolling along next to the equivalent of the sun but for noise. An endless source from which rays of tiresome ramblings and bullshit emanated.

"You're in on it right?" Wei Ying looked over his shoulder to make sure the coast was clear before switching the subject.

"Depends"

"Come on Lan Zhan" Wei Wuxian grabbed onto his arm and shook it. Lan Wangji wasn't one to like physical touch but instead of pushing him off, like what Jiang Cheng would've done, he simply stood there allowing the Wei to cling to him. "Zewu-jun looks miserable. You have to" he pleaded.

Lan Huan? From what Wei Wuxian and Huaisang had told him, he had traveled to Qinghe almost a week ago, he was miserable? Why? How would Wei Wuxian know? Had Wangji told him? But his flood of questions were quickly answered as a third figure stepped into the conversation.

"Brother, young master Wei" Lan Xichen gave a deep bow to them both. "Uncle has asked for our assistance. Could you please come with me?"

Lan Wangji looked over at the man still attached to his side. Even after what Lan Huan had said he refused to let go. Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes at his brother's clinginess, it wasn't like he could hold on to him forever. It took for Lan Wangji to glare at him for him to finally let go.

Sending the man left behind an apologetic look, Lan Xichen turned around and walked back to the cloud recesses together with his brother.

"It's not like we needed you in the first place" Wei Wuxian huffed once the Lans had left. Yeah right, if you didn't need him why did you ask him in the first place? To keep you company? Jiang Cheng thought as he looked at his brother who was visibly upset by the Lan's actions. He was even kicking an imaginary rock on the ground. But he wasn't the only one upset by a Lan.

Lan Xichen hadn't left the cloud recesses. He was still here and it didn't seem like he was hiding that fact from anyone else. Meaning he must be avoiding him specifically. It wasn't like he had avoided anyone else in his friend group, he had seemed perfectly fine meeting Wei Wuxian just now. And judging by the fan he had been carrying. That one with the picture of Gusu. He had no issue meeting Huaisang either.

Perhaps the reason why he hadn't read the letter was because he didn't need to. He had already known and didn't want to taint his eyes by reading it. And now that everyone else knew as well he was no longer able to hide his disgust. Instead settling for pretending to be away on business, all in an effort to not have to meet him.

Jiang Cheng wanted to believe he was overreacting, that his mind was simply coming up with the worst case scenario just to torture himself. But what other reason would there be for Lan Xichen to pretend to not be in Gusu when he clearly was?

It was hopeless, not only did he not have a chance with him but now he wouldn't even get to see him again. Groveling in his misery he stayed there lying in the grass until the sun started to set, at which point he trudged back to their dorm. Wei Wuxian who had been back for quite a while at this point was sitting around spending time reading magazines with Nie Huaisang, who was looking over his shoulder.

"Jiang Cheng" Huaisang smiled, but Jiang Cheng simply threw himself on his bed, not even hiding how he felt anymore. "Are you okay?" The Nie sounded worried. His brother had another approach to get him to interact.

"How about we go play in the woods?" Wei Wuxian asked. This silly question actually got him a response.

"Like children?"

"It's great training, don't knock it till you try it" Jiang Cheng did like to train. Especially when his mind was full of guff. His brother probably had some hidden intentions, some secret plan he was carrying out, but right now he didn't care. If it would help distract him then Wei Wuxian may humiliate him in whatever way he wanted.