Chapter 19: Lan Wangji

Jiang Cheng walked towards the library pavilion, alone.

The air during class had been rather strange, equally as strange as Huaisang's behavior this morning. To his surprise Wei Wuxian had made it to class on time, even sat down next to him. This would've been rather nice if it weren't for the fact that he had continuously pinched him until he had snapped.

Lan Qiren, who had seemed even more on edge than usual, hadn't hesitated to give him a rather excessive punishment. Given how small the interruption had been there really was no need to copy the rules five times over.

Stepping into the pavilion he greeted the Lan with a bow. An action which had worrisomely turned into a familiar habit.

"Zewu-jun" But looking up he realized he hadn't addressed the right Lan. "Lan Wangji?"

"Mm" His face was perfectly neutral, but Jiang Cheng sensed that he wasn't happy to be here. Though perhaps that was just his imagination. It wasn't like his expression was any different from usual.

"Where's Lan Xichen?" Jiang Cheng asked.

"Busy" Another single word response. Getting him to talk was as difficult as trying to get Wei Wuxian to shut up.

"And you're not busy?" Jiang Cheng attempted conversation once more as he sat down at a desk and started to copy down the rules which he at this point had fully memorized. He had probably ended up in detention as many times as his brother, if not more.

"Wei Ying didn't cause trouble today" Lan Wangji said. The Jiang sympathized with the Lan. Having dealt with Wei Wuxian for as long as he could remember he knew it was a struggle to deal with him.

"Must be rough" Lan Wangji shot him a side-eyed look, his head perfectly still, making it very clear he was not intending to speak "You know, being in charge of lecturing Wei Wuxian." No reaction. Lan Wangji simply looked back down at his work.

"You don't think so? If you want him then you're free to have him. Too much of a hassle to keep around." Jiang Cheng joked trying to lighten the mood. It hadn't been long since he had actively tried to get the two of them apart. Not that he wasn't still trying, although he might not be as active as before.

Recently realizing he was a cutsleeve made fighting the rumors more difficult. Any excuse he had previously had for why Wei Wuxian wasn't interested in Lan Wangji also held true for him and Lan Huan. So those points were clearly mute.

As expected, Lan Wangji didn't respond. Writing a couple more rules down, Jiang Cheng tried to come up with another conversation starter only to come to the conclusion that the two of them had nothing in common. There was only Wei Wuxian... and Lan Huan.

The library pavilion felt lifeless and dull without the usual banter he carried out with Lan Huan. Jiang Cheng hadn't really considered it before, but conversing during detention was probably not the norm. Not that he could be certain. Even if it was the norm, Lan Wangji was always very quiet, even for being a Lan he was considered silent. Practically mute.

If only it was Lan Huan who was here with him. Though it might not be the same now that he's realized his feelings for the man.

Jiang Cheng had never liked anyone before. How are you supposed to act around someone you like? If he were to ask his brother he would probably recommend him to throw some big stunt to show his affections. But given that his brother had equally as much experience as him, amounting to a grand total of nothing. Jiang Cheng wasn't going to put any trust in his advice.

Did Lan Huan have experience?

Jiang Cheng couldn't picture it. The Lans had such strict rules that the very idea of any of them dating seemed like a reach. But perhaps that was just wishful thinking. The very idea of Lan Huan being out there smiling at a pretty woman, holding her hand in his. It all made Jiang Cheng's stomach queasy.

"Does Lans date? You know, like when you spend time hanging out with someone you like?" Wangji's eyes shot up at him, containing an intensity Jiang Cheng wasn't used to. "I mean, surely Lans date too, right?" Probably not, with all of the rules what could they do? No touching, no laughing, no unnecessary fun. All of it was forbidden in Gusu.

Not that the rules were ever followed to a tee by anyone. Even Lan Qiren broke the rules, Jiang Cheng had seen him running around screaming plenty of times since arriving at the cloud recesses. Sure Wei Wuxian was usually the reason for such outbursts, but that didn't change the fact that Lan Qiren had broken at least two of the Gusu rules. So perhaps Lan Xichen also defied the rules sometimes.

Uneasy Jiang Cheng had begun to ramble. It wasn't like he could right out ask what he wanted to know. Wangji would probably not take too kindly to having a man try to woo his brother.

"Do you two ever stop talking?" Lan Wangji cut him off. It seems like his rambling had gotten out of hand. Not wanting to be further compared to his brother, Jiang Cheng spent the rest of their time together in silence. The only sound which could be heard was that of the brushstrokes of the rules being written.