Chapter 3: First Class

Jiang Cheng had been right to be worried. When he woke up he found a note from Wei Wuxian explaining how he had been dragged to receive his 'unfair punishment' before morning classes started. Jiang Cheng did not know for what reason his brother was being punished but he did not for a second doubt that it was anything but well deserved. Still how had Wei Wuxian, who had barely even made it into the cloud recesses, already managed to get caught breaking the rules?

After ensuring that his hair was neatly braided and secured using his purple hairband, Jiang Cheng took a final look at himself in the mirror. With Wei Wuxian's disaster of an introduction and the mishap with the invitation Jiang Cheng needed everything to go smoothly today. Starting with his looks, and hopefully ending with his brother not getting into more trouble. But despite everything being in its proper place the white robes worn by Gusu Lan's guest cultivators really didn't fit him, not at all. Size wise they did but not style wise. White was certainly suited for the soft and calm Lans but for someone with sharp and pointed facial features such as himself it really clashed.

But there was nothing to be done about it, instead he lifted his head high and went on his way. As he walked he bumped into a familiar face hidden behind an expensive looking fan.

"Good morning young master Nie"

"Young master Jiang, good morning" Nie Huaisang greeted with a smile. "Is Wei Wuxian not with you?" he turned to look behind Jiang Cheng but couldn't find his friend.

"No, he's managed to get into trouble"

"Already? I heard you arrived only yesterday" The Nies had arrived a couple of days earlier. Nie Mingjue had business to discuss with Zewu-jun as he was handing over his brother to the Lans.

"Mm, you know how he is"

"Who are you talking about?" Wei Wuxian asked, throwing his arms around Jiang Cheng from behind.

"We're talking about someone who is incapable of staying out of trouble for even a single day" Jiang Cheng said pointedly. But Wei Wuxian was not discouraged by his brother's words. After all, worrying about him was the Jiang's way of showing affection for his elder brother.

"What did you do this time?" Jiang Cheng asked, somewhat curious.

"Well since I was made to walk to and from Gusu I arrived late and got punished with being outside after curfew"

"That's all?" Jiang Cheng said unconvinced.

"I might have also... drank alcohol and attempted to bribe Lan Wangji when he found me" Wei Wuxian sped through the last part, as if hoping that his brother wouldn't hear. But Jiang Cheng heard every word. What had previously been worry was now replaced by annoyance.

"Really?

"Yeah, but it's all good. I've served my sentence and am now a free man" Wei Wuxian seemed rather happy about this. But the same could not be said for Jiang Cheng. Being free wasn't the same as being without a record. If Wei Wuxian had managed to make an enemy out of Lan Wangji that would be really bad. Jiang Cheng could only hope that second young master Lan didn't like to hold grudges. This wasn't a complete impossibility as the Lans valued forgiveness and Lan Wangji was known as the embodiment of the Lans' values.

"That's great news" Nie Huaisang responded.

"It sure is. How about you join me and Jiang Cheng for the celebration we planned for tonight?"

This 'celebration' was news to Jiang Cheng, but it wasn't uncommon for Wei Wuxian to make plans and include him after the fact. So he just let it go.

"Sure" Nie Huaisang leaned in to whisper "Will there be alcohol?"