Chapter 10: Walking the Scenic Route

It was early in the cloud recesses, Lan Xichen had just finished up his morning paperwork when he heard some familiar voices. Leaving his house he went to greet the trio.

"Good morning, are you heading to class?" Lan Xichen asked with uncertainty. This wasn't the fastest route to the classroom, far from it. Lan Xichen couldn't imagine a further detour than walking past this part of the cloud recesses. He hoped young master Wei hadn't dragged his friends into skipping class. Huaisang's grades could really not take such a hit.

"Yes Zewu-jun. But someone insisted on taking the scenic route to class this morning." Wei Wuxian jabbed his brother in the side with his elbow. Jiang Wanyin, clearly used to this behavior, dodged with ease, showing no further reaction.

"Yeah, why is that?" Nie Huaisang wondered, looking over at his friend. "my legs hurt from walking".

"If your legs hurt already then you clearly need the additional exercise" Jiang Wanyin commented. It seemed like the teen wasn't willing to divulge his reason for the longer walk.

"Was the bath of help to young master Wei?" Lan Xichen asked, directing his attention away from the Jiang.

"Yes, I'm doing much better thanks to Zewu-jun" Wei Wuxian smiled. "E-eh, what about Lan Zhan? Is he doing better too? He spouted something about 'not healing' and 'needing to repent'" Wei Wuxian made mocking gestures as he spoke, but in between the words there was genuine worry. Lan Xichen smiled, appreciating the care young master Wei showed for his brother. Going forward he would continue to support their growing relationship.

"Yes, Lan Wangji is doing much better. Though I would suspect the wounds will take a little while longer to fully heal" His brother had come rushing to him in the evening being quite upset. His face being the embodiment of the sentence How could you do this to me?

But the fact that Lan Wangji showed such an expression in the first place meant he had done the right thing. Lan Xichen had always been quite worried for his constantly removed brother, who was never really present with the people around him. As if he was secluded within himself. It was nice seeing parts of a younger Wangji slip out though the facade he had built up over the years.

"Serves him right" Wei Wuxian muttered under his breath. Though he was worried, he had seemingly not gotten past the fact that Lan Wangji hadn't let him off.

"Watch your words young master Wei" Lan Xichen warned, he might allow the disciples a bit more leeway than his uncle and brother did. But there was a limit to what he was willing to accept. And Wei Wuxian had just crossed it.

Jiang Wanyin apologized profusely for his brother, bowing as he did. When he noticed Wei Wuxian not joining in he placed a hand on the other man's head and made him bow by force. As if the apology meant anything to Lan Xichen if it wasn't sincere.

But he didn't need an apology. He had only intended on warning the man to not say such things in the future, especially in front of Lan Wangji. Jiang Wanyin's constant apologizing was starting to get on Lan Xichen's nerves. Was this all their conversations would ever consist of? The younger man asking for forgiveness on his brother's behalf.

He must have accidentally shown how upset he was as young master Jiang started to apologize even more. Lan Xichen sighed.

"Please, it's not necessary. If anything the one young master Wei should apologize to is my brother, not me" And so Lan Xichen ushered them to head off to class in order for the trio to make it on time.

If they were late, uncle would be sure to come complaining to him about Wei Wuxian's poor behavior. Something which Lan Xichen would rather avoid. It was much better to hear Lan Wangji complaining about what they got up to before class.