Chapter 13: My Future Wife

As they walked to class Jiang Cheng heard the gossip still being spread around, words such as "cutsleeve" and "shameless" was being thrown around. No matter what he did, the rumors just continued to grow. And as the number of people gossiping increased so did their confidence. There were plenty of people openly staring at them, having no shame.

"Isn't it disgusting how he tries to get close to the jade twin?" One of the male cultivators said not even trying to not get overheard. For being against gossiping the Lans sure hadn't done enough to quell such rumors from spreading. Jiang Cheng felt greatly embarrassed on his unaffected brother's behalf. He was in fact so unaffected that he started up a conversation about the man himself.

"Lan Wangji was being nice to me yesterday. He even greeted me, unprompted. I think he's starting to like me"

"Really? That's great news" Nie Huaisang said, happy for his friend's success.

Not great news. Not at all.

"What are you talking about? Lan Wangji is as cold as ever. If you want to befriend a Lan you should've picked Lan Xichen. He's far more good-natured and sociable than his brother." Jiang Cheng said, trying to steer the conversation from one Lan to another.

"He isn't wrong" Nie Huaisang agreed, it didn't matter what they said Huaisang would most likely agree with both of them regardless. Never really taking a stance. "Lan Xichen has a lot of positive features."

"Yeah, he did help me out one time. Do you think if I ask nicely we can get him to..." Wei Wuxian carried on with a ridiculous line of inquiry. But at least the focus was no longer on Lan Wangji.

In order to avoid meeting Lan Wangji they walked the same way as usual. Keeping lookout Jiang Cheng caught sight of Lan Xichen's white robes. After quickly scanning the area for Wangji he looked back at the Lan, only then realizing his mistake.

"Lan Zhan" Wei Wuxian shouted, waving his head above his head as he rushed forward.

Having stood right next to his brother, Lan Wangji had been hidden from view and Jiang Cheng had failed to spot him in time. At this point it was too late to stop them from meeting. Sighing, Jiang Cheng went to join in the conversation, Huaisang in tow.

"Hey Lan Zhan. Show Jiang Cheng you aren't always cold." Lan Wangji who's full attention had been directed at Wei Wuxian, now looked over at Jiang Cheng. Wangji was cold. But he wasn't the only Lan looking at him.

"Young master Jiang?" Lan Xichen had raised an eyebrow. Everyone knew Lan Wangji was cold, but that didn't change the fact that it shouldn't be said out loud. Jiang Cheng regretted the careless words he had spoken.

"Don't worry Zewu-jun. Brother only said good things about you" Wei Wuxian continued before Jiang Cheng had a chance to defend himself. "He went on and on about how kind and good-hearted person you are"

"Did not" Jiang Cheng childishly tried to deny it.

"Wanna bet? You were speaking so loudly every guest cultivator in Gusu heard you. Isn't that right Huaisang?"

Huaisang nodded but seeing Jiang Cheng's glare he stopped. Is Wei Wuxian trying to launch a smear campaign? The Lans were same as anyone else not too fond of insults, but they also didn't like excessive praise. Jiang Cheng even thought he had seen a rule against it during one of his many punishments.

Besides, he had only said those things to keep Wei Wuxian out of trouble, and so he had raised his voice to make sure people knew that they were talking about Lans in general, not just Wangji. And this is how his brother repaid him for all his hard work?

Jiang Cheng felt heat rise in his chest. How could he do this to him? He felt trapped and embarrassed over being told on.

You know what, screw Wei Wuxian. If he wanted to be known as a cutsleeve so badly then so be it. If you like Wangji so much, why don't you just marry him, see if I care, Jiang Cheng wanted to scream. But he didn't, couldn't.