Chapter 28: Out of Gusu

His head was spinning.

"Nephew" A loud thunderous voice could be heard. Turning his head, Lan Xichen could see his uncle standing in the entrance to his bedroom. Seeing the disarray his nephew was in he grew even more upset. Lan Xichen's usually neat and tidy bedroom was in utter chaos. The first thing to catch his eyes was young master Jiang's robes. Which were in a non-organized pile, as if they had been removed in a hurry.

But worse than the Jiang's robes were those of his nephew. Dirty and damp, improperly worn. Not even as a child had he worn them in such a fashion. This was truly unfathomable, even his headband was askew.

What had his nephew had gotten up to when he was gone. When his watchful eyes were no longer on him. This was the final straw, Lan Qiren would give no second chances. He would not allow for this to go on any longer.

"This is it. Out of Gusu"

Lan Xichen was greatly disappointed at no longer being able to see Jiang Wanyin anymore, but he didn't regret his choice.

"Fine, I'll go to Qinghe" He accepted the consequences of his actions.

"No, not you. He needs to go. Right now."

"Uncle, he is sick. He needs help" Lan Xichen pleaded with his uncle to reconsider.

"Clearly" he spit out the word. He had not interpreted the word sick as literal as Lan Huan had meant it. Lan Qiren's nose wrinkled in disgust which soon turned to anger. "Which is why he's going back to Yunmeng this instant. They need to be the ones dealing him"

"No" Lan Xichen said firmly. "I'll go, please let him stay" Getting thrown out of Gusu would be a huge blemish on Jiang Cheng's record, if he could stop it from happening he would. Lan Qiren stopped at his nephew's plea, but refused to turn around to face him.

"You were always good, proper, and obedient. The perfect student. But look at you now. If he can corrupt even the most promising Lan then I can not with a good conscience allow him to stay. It would be irresponsible to subject my disciples to such a person." Lan Qiren sighed and with a more composed voice he said.

"Please, I am only looking out for you. Stay here, obey" and with that he left. But the young Lan had no plans of staying even for a second.

Getting up on his feet, Lan Xichen's world swayed. But he had to move. By the time he made it to the door his uncle was nowhere in sight, but given what he had previously said he could only guess that he would soon head towards the entrance of the cloud recesses. Breaking the rules Lan Xichen ran as fast as his unstable legs could manage, hoping he wouldn't be too late.

There was a small group of less than ten people standing by the portal which led in and out of the cloud recesses, but as his uncle's voice thundered, more and more disciples came to join them as they were curious about what was going on.

"I will house no cutsleeve in Gusu" Lan Qiren pushed a stumbling Jiang Cheng out of the gates, the seal surrounding the cloud recesses keeping him from entering again. Jiang Cheng's face was covered in embarrassment from being treated in such a way. He was the future Jiang sect leader, to be thrown out of the cloud recesses in such a public manner must hurt his pride.

Grabbing the next closest man Lan Qiren also shoved Wei Wuxian out. Who looked much more indignant than embarrassed.

"Hey, what did I do?" Lan Qiren of course did not need a specific reason to want to throw the young Wei out. Just throwing Jiang Cheng out would be a big fiasco, Wei Wuxian's expulsion would not add much additional bad press and so Lan Qiren simply took the opportunity to get rid of the thorn in his side.

Brushing off his robes and adjusting his headband Lan Xichen fixed his looks as much as he could before he strode up to them. Holding his head high, he was about to do something he would never have thought of a couple of months ago, defy his uncle. Perhaps he had been right, Jiang Wanyin had changed him. But that wasn't such a bad thing.

"If that is uncle's wishes then I shall obey" he gave a soft bow before walking past his uncle to go stand next to Jiang Cheng. Turning around, he met his uncle's furious gaze head on.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"Like you said, no cutsleeves are allowed in Gusu. Does that not include me?"

"You're just confused. Come back here" But Lan Xichen had no such plans. Taking a step closer to the Jiang, he placed a hand on his shoulder.

"There's nothing confusing about it. I'm in love with this man."