Chapter 9: Baseless Rumors

"So now I'm doing all better. Zewu-jun truly is as nice as everyone says" Wei Wuxian said as the trio walked to class.

"In that case you better thank him the next time you see him" Jiang Cheng reminded him, feeling more like a parent than a sibling.

"Of course" Wei Wuxian said before swiftly switching the topic and began talking to Huaisang instead. Jiang Cheng concluded that he would probably be the one to offer his thanks. His brother had always been forgetful, especially when it came to pain the moment it stopped aching it was like it had never happened. If he didn't, why else would he keep getting punished day in and day out.

"Did you hear?" Jiang Cheng caught the whispers of a nearby female guest cultivator speaking to her friend."That's the man which was spotted bathing with Lan Wangji" she pointed at Wei Wuxian who was fully unaware of what was happening.

"What!? But he's so handsome, why would he be flirting with another man?"

"I heard he's so in love Lan Wangji had to practically push him off of him"

"Really? If it were me I would've gladly had him come onto me" the woman giggled.

What ridiculous gossiping Jiang Cheng thought. The part about Lan Wangji having to push to keep Wei Wuxian off of him was probably true though. Jiang Cheng regularly had to do the same thing, his brother truly lacked any kind of boundary when it came to physical touch. But to believe Wei Wuxian was a homosexual was impossible.

His many adventures flirting with women had caused Jiang Cheng headaches on numerous occasions. By their next visit to Gusu he was sure to find yet another woman to flirt with, making any such rumor disappear in an instant. Though that didn't stop Jiang Cheng from getting into a foul mood as a result of what he had overheard.

Arriving at class, Wei Wuxian didn't sit at the desk he'd used the day before. Instead he sat down at the desk next to Lan Wangji. A seat which had been left empty due to the frosty desk mate who came with it. Jiang Cheng could smell trouble a mile away, and so could Lan Qiren.

But there was nothing either of them could do about it. Jiang Cheng had no choice but to watch as his brother leaned over to whisper something into Lan Wangji's ear.

He got no response, not even a reaction.

When Lan Qiren turned around Wei Wuxian was back in his original spot, pretending like nothing had happened. But Lan Qiren would have to be a fool not to notice anything being up. The attention of half of the class was directed at Wei Wuxian rather than on him. Jiang Cheng saw how he clenched his hand, not too dissimilar from what he had seen Lan Wangji do when approached by Wei Ying. Perhaps this was the Lans' Wei Wuxian-detector.

"Young master Wuxian..."

"Please call me Wei Wuxian. I think we've gotten close enough by now" A sad reality. Wei Wuxian had spent a rather large amount of time with Lan Qiren considering their short stay. But most of that time had been spent getting scolded or punished. It wasn't something which he should be proudly parading around with.

"Wei. Wuxian. What do you think you're doing in my class"

"I haven't done anything"

"Then can you explain to me why the class seems so interested in you?"

"Because I am likable?" unlike you. The last part was left out. But it didn't need to be said out loud. The situation carried on as one would expect and Wei Wuxian ended up writing Gusu rules once more.

"See, I told you so. He even got in trouble to spend more time with him" whispered the same woman Jiang Cheng had overheard before.

Unable to take it any longer he spun around and shot them a deadly glare. One of those his mother would shoot at his brother whenever he got in serious trouble. The women immediately became quiet and left in a hurry. Having spotted the annoyed teen, Nie Huaisang approached him.

"Want to hang out until Wei Wuxian is free?"

"Fine" He couldn't very well stay mad in front of his friend. It wouldn't take long for his brother to finish his punishment today anyway. Sitting outside the library pavilion Nie Huaisang had gotten out a piece of parchment and was drawing light strokes with a brush. Since they weren't at a desk Jiang Cheng had gotten the task as ink-holder. If he didn't Huaisang would likely knock it over at some point.

"It's really pretty" Jiang Cheng said. It was a highly detailed picture of Gusu, which Huaisang was currently drawing completely from memory. Jiang Cheng could even spot the stores they had visited the day before.

"You think so?"

"M-hm. It's impressive how you're able to remember so many details considering how often you fail your classes." A bit of an underhanded compliment, but it was true nonetheless.

"Well... It's just easier when it comes to fans, you know" Jiang Cheng understood. He always had an easier time learning sword techniques than he did the Gusu rules. But that didn't mean he could ignore learning them.

"So this is the latest fan you're making?"

"Yes, going to Gusu with you yesterday really gave me inspiration"

"So that's why Gusu looks so desolate, brother scared everyone away" Wei Wuxian had returned from his punishment, smiling as always. "Let's go play"