Chapter 15: Apology or Love Confession

Jiang Cheng, Nie Huaisang, and Wei Wuxian sounded like a group of fierce corpses as they walked to the library pavilion. Moaning and wailing as their feet dragged behind them.

"Jiang Cheng, carry me" Wei Wuxian lazily put a hand on his brother's shoulder, sending pain through Jiang Cheng as he touched a spot the whip had hit.

"Fuck off, carry yourself"

"Huaisang?" Wei Ying turned around.

"Sorry, I can't" Nie Huaisang was in just as much pain as the other two were.

"Lan Zhan! Carry mee" Wei Wuxian cried out, but as Jiang Cheng looked Lan Wangji was not there. Even if he were, Jiang Cheng doubted he would carry that lazy ass. Especially after having received his just punishment. Being ready to fall into a pile from the pain, the trio entered the library pavilion.

"Zewu-jun" Huaisang said as he attempted a bow, which due to the punishment wasn't all that good, his back arched upward.

The pain had taken Jiang Cheng's mind off of the disaster that had just happened. But at the sight of Lan Xichen he was reminded of why they were being punished. After hearing what Jiang Cheng had said, both Wei Wuxian and Nie Huaisang had eagerly looked over at whom he had picked out.

"Isn't that?" Nie Huaisang asked.

"It sure is" Wei Wuxian patted his brother on the shoulder "I told you. There's no need to lie. I wont judge you for wanting to stay single."

"What do you mean?" Looking back, 'she' had turned around... It was Lan Xichen. In a sea of women he had picked out a man. Even worse than that, when he found out he didn't instantly regret his choice. His heart was still racing in his chest. He should be disgusted, crushed even. That would've been the normal reaction to this happening.

Instead he hadn't been able to keep his eyes off of him. Jiang Cheng still thought he was as perfect as before, only now he had more information to back up his previously baseless assertion. That person was who he wanted as his wife, man or woman didn't matter. Seeing his brother's reaction Wei Wuxian knew he had struck gold.

"No way... You really do like Zewu-jun!" Wei Wuxian exclaimed.

"Shh" Jiang Cheng tried to hush him, not wanting to be overheard. But Wei Wuxian had not been quiet and after minutes of loud teasing Lan Xichen had walked in on them. His presence caused Jiang Cheng to feel anxious on top of the mortification caused by his brother's endless teasing.

A similar anxiousness filled him now. Standing in front of Lan Xichen he could barely feel the pain from the recent punishment. He was too overwhelmed by the tingling sensation in his chest.

"You two, start copying the Gusu rules." Lan Xichen ordered. Only them? Jiang Cheng looked over at the Lan. Unsure of what else to do, he sat down at the third desk and awaited further instructions. "Young master Jiang, you'll have to write a letter of apology to the woman in question."

"He gets to write a letter to his wife? How unfair, I want to write one too" Wei Wuxian complained.

"You're free to write one in your spare time, young master Wei" Jiang Cheng didn't care about his brother's teasing. He had a much more important question on his mind.

"She won't read it will she?" Jiang Cheng asked hesitantly not knowing who to send it to if the answer was yes.

"I volunteer to deliver it" Wei Wuxian said, raising a hand. Jiang Cheng sent his brother a glare. There would be no such thing happening.

"Of course not, we wouldn't want to make the female cultivators uncomfortable now would we?" Yeah, he would probably be revolted if he knew a man liked him, it was better to keep it a secret. However, Jiang Cheng still had to complete the assignment. So he tried to keep any mention of 'her' vague.

But every now and then his gaze couldn't help but wander, each time ending up on the graceful Lan sitting at the front desk. Could a man fill the role as a wife? Not that he would ever need to know, it wasn't like Lan Xichen would ever like him back.

When they were all done. Wei Wuxian and Nie Huaisang handed in their copies of the Gusu rules. Jiang Cheng had been done for quite a while and just sat there staring at the paper in front of him. And then suddenly it was no longer there.

Looking up, his brother had a grin on his face and a piece of paper in his hand.

"My deepest apologies for making you upset. Blah Blah Blah. If I have made you uncomfortable please forgive me. I wish you nothing but the best... Really? Such a serious tone. Is this really how you should address one's future wife?" Wei Wuxian sent a confused look at his brother. "Seems a bit too formal. You need to add more emotion to it. How about: When I see you my heart flutters my dear beloved I simply couldn't help myself but to admire your beauty"

"It's supposed to be an apology, not a love confession." Jiang Cheng attempted to grab the letter back to no avail.

"Are you sure? Because this last line..." Wei Wuxian looked at the letter once more, having spotted the part which Jiang Cheng now very much regretted writing.

"Oh fuck you!" Jiang Cheng stood up and took a swing at his brother. For once intending to do real damage. If he managed to knock him out he would easily be able to retrieve the apology.

"Stop it" Lan Xichen in between them to stop their fighting. At the same time he had grabbed the paper out of Wei Wuxian's hand.

Jiang Cheng's heart stopped.

"You were supposed to reflect on your actions, not fight. Was the punishment not enough?" Lan Xichen sighed. The siblings went silent, looking over at Wei Wuxian he saw a smirk. Making sure Zewu-jun wasn't looking, he mouthed Letter delivered.

"Apologies" Jiang Cheng ignored his brother and bowed at Lan Xichen in an attempt to regain the Lan's favor. "Can I have my apology back?

"No, I'm confiscating it for bad behavior. Perhaps then you will learn your lesson" This couldn't be happening. He needed it back. Desperately so. And desperate times call for desperate measures. Jiang Cheng went down on his knees and begged.

"Please, Zewu-jun"

But even that wasn't enough to change his mind. The letter was gone.