Chapter 22: Injury

Lan Xichen had brought Lan Wangji back home, to where Lan Qiren had brought all of the relevant documents. After sorting them all based on content, there were piles upon piles of old documents they needed to look through.

"If uncle asks, could you tell him you've started a new project?" Lan Xichen asked. To his surprise Lan Wangji agreed, uttering an "Mmm". His brother had never liked lying, even in times when it was necessary. But Lan Wangji had seemed distracted ever since Lan Xichen had brought him here. Had even been staring at that same paper for minutes straight. He must be upset.

"I heard that you were dragged off by Wei Wuxian" At least that's what that one Lan disciple, Lan Xichen had asked, told him. But Wei Wuxian had done so in a part of the cloud recesses where Lan Wangji had no business being. Which had been why both his brother and uncle had struggled to find him. "What were you doing by the guest cultivator's dorms? Were you looking for young master Wei?" Lan Xichen was fishing for information.

Lan Wangji flipped the paper in front of him, finally looking at another page. His lack of reaction meant Lan Hauan had been wrong.

"So you had planned a meeting with him in advance?" Lan Wangji's eye twitched.

Jackpot.

Seems like his brother was no longer fighting to stay away from young master Wei. Sadly their meetup had been cut short by the need to complete their uncle's task.

"I'm sorry for interrupting the two of you. Had I known I would've done the work myself."

Lan Wangji looked up, first as his brother and then at the piles of paper all over the room. There was no way for Lan Xichen to do all this on his own. Spending the next two days without sleeping or eating wouldn't even be enough. Even if it had been, Lan Wangji would not allow his brother to take on the duties their uncle had assigned to him. So he shook his head and went back to work. But he still had a slight frown on his face.

"Candy?" Lan Xichen offered. He had gotten them specifically for when Wangji was upset with Wei Wuxian. Though he hadn't expected it would be like this. But before his brother had time to decline the offer a drenched and worried Nie Huaisang came crashing in through the door.

"Zewu-jun" he gasped for air, after having run all the way there. "Wei Ying is injured. You need to come. Quickly."

Before Lan Xichen could even respond his brother had stood up and pushed past Huaisang. Running off into the dark of night. Did he know where he was going? Lan Xichen assumed he must, Lan Wangji wasn't one to run around directionless. But how could he be so sure? Catching his breath, the Nie explained.

Apparently young master Nie and Wei had been out playing in the woods. Nie Huaisang had intentionally mentioned it just being the two of them, but Lan Xichen was certain Jiang Wanyin was with them. And so he couldn't go, just in case his uncle caught wind of it once he came back.

He wasn't needed anyway. Knowing his brother had gotten closer to young master Wei he could trust Lan Wangji to take care of him. Jiang Wanyin's brother would be fine.

"You should hurry up and catch up to Wangji. Go show him where young master Wei is."

"B-but..."

"Don't worry my brother is more than capable of taking care of him" Even if Wei Wuxian would eventually be punished for being out playing in the woods, right now Lan Wangji's focus was on saving him. Everything would end well.

But Huaisang just stood there, not wanting to leave without the second Lan. There was something else going on here. Something he wasn't telling him.

"If that's all then please go help your friend" Lan Xichen gestured to the piles of work, which he now was going to need to complete all on his own."I have much to do "Realizing he wouldn't be able to convince him, the Nie reluctantly left, hurrying off into the night.