Chapter 1

"Singh, go!"

Brian Park yells as he slows the vehicle down by the sidewalk that acts as a roadblock between the main street and the small alley. As soon as Karishma Singh's feet touch the concrete ground with the moist of last night rain, he steps on the acceleration to make the sound of screeching tires. Karishma Singh is also doing her own acceleration as she sprints like an Olympic medalist. The duty belt around her waist doesn't slow her down one bit when she moves along the alley to catch up with a suspicious-looking guy who is ahead of her. He started to make the run for his life when Brian and Karishma showed their badges and identified themselves as detectives. He hasn't stopped running ever since. He knocks everything in his way down in attempt to block Karishma's way; to stop her even. However, with years and determination Karishma has put into this job, it will take more than that to stop her. The chase continues until the man about to reach the end of the alley where he has an option to either go left, right or straight. He cannot turn around. There is a woman with a gun behind him and as far as he can see, she doesn't seem to be afraid to use it. Then, his decision to go straight is interrupted by the same car he ran away from. The car stops him in his way as he slams so hard into it that he falls on his back. Karishma doesn't wait another second to approach with her gun pointing at him.

"LAPD. You're under arrest for murder." Karishma puts her gun back into the holster when she sees that Brian is covering her with his gun as he steps down from the car. She proceeds to put the handcuff on his wrists. "And if it's up to me, I'll also arrest you for choosing this nasty alley.

These are my new shoes, man."

"Detectives, I swear I killed no one." The man tries to catch his breath as he lays face-down on the floor. He feels like he is dying but he cannot die without trying to fight for his own self. "They framed me."

"They framed you? So that you had to throw some shit away in the alley?" Karishma pats down the man and finds a gun attached to his waist. She carefully pulls it out. "Boy, you're in deep trouble."

"Please, detectives. I swear."

"Let's just discuss that at the station." Brian; the half-Asian man with muscles and buzz cut, pulls the man up on his feet once a couple of patrol cars pull over by them. He lightly pushes the man towards two patrol cops who were radioed to backup the two detectives. "Lock him up. Thank you."

Karishma, then, breaks into a smile when she sees another pair of patrol cops make their ways towards her. They are more than familiar faces. They are friends. "Hi, guys."

"Detective." Officer Maria acts tough and serious but still, she winks at Karishma, her old patrol partner. "How can we be at your service?"

"He threw something away in the alley. Around those wooden crates." Karishma explains and holds up the gun she has taken from the man. "I'll bag this and I'll help you guys look."

"Okay. On it." Officer Maria nods at her rookie and leads the way into the alley.

Karishma walks to their car to put the gun into the evidence bag when something hits her. She strokes her light brown hair that makes an escape from the ponytail back before filling in information on the bag. Her furrowed eyebrows and her quick pause between letters hint Brian of something unusual. He leans against the car and crosses his arms.

"What's up?" Brian asks his newly appointed partner.

"It just feels off." Karishma begins. It has only been a few months since she was promoted to be a detective in robbery-homicide division but her instinct as a detective kicks as hard as anyone else. "Instead of throwing away the gun that directly links him to the murder, he threw away something else entirely."