Chapter 28

It is a staredown and either shows the sign of giving in. The eyes are fixed and the rest of the bodies are frozen still. After a few seconds, the sound of breathing creeps through the air and one pair of eyes moves from the opponent to the cup of coffee that lands on the coffee table in front of him. Both of his feet touch the floor as he leans in to get the cup.

"I wasn't aware that you've got a dog, Miss Haseena." Haseena's lawyer addresses his observation as he takes off the glasses and takes a sip of the coffee. His eyes are still on Jabba who is incredibly well-behaved. He is just sitting there with his smile; minding everyone's business so silently. Everything and everyone are so interesting for him.

Haseena sits back on the couch after getting Aanya her tea. She crosses her legs and calls Jabba over; which he follows her order so strictly as if she is really his mom. "This is Karishma's dog."

"Oh. I see." Her lawyer leans back into the armchair and puts his glasses back on the tip of his nose. He makes it obvious that he is not really a big fan of the statement concerning his client's girlfriend. His advice is obviously ignored and he can't do anything about it.

"Look, you need to put your little suspicion on Karishma to rest already. We all agreed that the password- access thing could be anyone. Besides, I trust her. And. She has been nothing but amazing to me. I don't know what else I can tell you." Haseena says everything so calmly as if she is not bothered by another rock that has been thrown at them. She is now convinced that they are standing on the solid enough ground. They are building something great together. "Have you checked that footage Captain Lanna mentioned?"

"Well, as she said, they are not quite clear." Her lawyer takes off his glasses again and sighs. "Without Will Hughes's statement, we barely have anything. The district attorney is practically turning around now."

"I mean... It is impossible to leave zero trace, right? It must be something." Haseena exhaustedly questions the exact same thing that has been circling in her brain for weeks now. She can't seem to settle on the idea that Brian committed a perfect crime. "Fingerprints. Traffic cams. Eye-witnesses."

"He is a cop." James casts his opinion from the armrest that he has been perching on next to Haseena. "He probably knows how to hide and how to dodge things like that."

"Yeah." The lawyer responds shortly. James has just said what he keeps silently on his mind.

Haseena glances at James before making him her personal cushion by leaning against him. This whole thing is eating her up and she becomes too tired to fight it. "What do you suggest?"

"We can file but I'm almost certain that it will be dismissed in a heartbeat." The lawyer doesn't even try to bend the truth. He knows he can make more money out of Haseena but with his experience and his time with this young girl, he doesn't want that. "Unless a confession miraculously lands into our hands."

"Have you talked to Karishma?" Aanya sighs deeply. She wants to help. She sees with her own eyes how hard this has been on Haseena. She can see that Haseena cannot move on if she doesn't get some sort of a closure. "She is also a cop. It wouldn't be hard for her to squeeze something out of Detective Park."

"I don't know if she'll do it." Haseena says underneath her breath as she closes her eyes and remembers the time Karishma made her stance on this. They have yet to discuss on how far Karishma would go with the 'I will help him as much as I can' and the 'I might not be on your side' things.

"You should talk to her. I mean it's a little impossible to think that Karishma would refuse to do things you ask her to if you ask me." James shines the light on the thought that everyone has. "She probably acts like she doesn't want to but-"