Chapter 21

Karishma ends up in the same place she was yesterday; in a smelly jail cell that she starts to get so familiar with but this time around, she has a company. A teenage girl who is sobering up after getting so high and trying to steal a duck from a park makes such an excellent cellmate. Karishma is sitting on the concrete bed while the girl is sitting on the floor and resting her head on the sloppy mattress. They are talking about all the nonsense in the world and laughing as if they are not in the police custody. Karishma knows that the police will not charge the girl with anything. They will probably just wait for her parents to get here. Then, a visitor hesitantly walks through the door to the cell both girls are. Karishma might be familiar in here but for her, this is new and this is nothing like the movie scene.

"Hey." Haseena gets both girls' attentions. One looks at her without moving away from her seat and one looks at her with thoughts squeezing through her intoxicated mind.

"Holy moly, you're Haseena Malik." The girl turns to look at Haseena but refuses to get up on her feet. She can't. It will be too much for her to take off from the floor. "I watched your movie."

"Thank you." Haseena smiles awkwardly and shifts her sight towards Karishma who looks at the girl with a ridiculous smile.

"Is Will Hughes's dick big?" The girl narrows her eyes and asks so bluntly. She waits for the answer with a serious look on her face.

"Don't mind her. She is high." Karishma chuckles in her throat with a smile that looks rather exhausted.

"Only on life." The girl proudly adds juiciness to the sentence that sounds too plain to her ears.

"Hmm. Detective, I need a word with you." Haseena announces. She waits a bit as Karishma manages to get up on her feet and gets to the bar partition that becomes one of the things that stand between them. "Will won't press any charges or sue you for that matter..."

"Okay." Karishma responds plainly. She doesn't really care much about what Will will or
won't do. She is not even regretting what she did; not even one bit.

"...as long as I agree to deny all the rumors regarding you and me."

"That's the right thing to do." Karishma whispers without really looking at Haseena.

"Yeah." Haseena reaches between the bars and grabs Karishma's shirt; trying to get her to look into her eyes. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah." Karishma smiles briefly and takes a quick glance at Haseena. "You could just send your lawyer down to tell me that or have an officer write down a note. Captain Lanna is probably going to leave me in here until she feels like her punishment is done."

"Yeah. You'll be in here for a few hours." Haseena passes on the news she has got from the captain herself.

Karishma moves her eyes from the grasp that Haseena refuses to leave from the hem of her shirt and looks into her eyes. She whispers so low that some of the words are defeated by the silence. "I'm going to help Brian."

Haseena instantly steps away from the bars and from Karishma when she hears that. She closes her eyes for a second just to gather her thoughts and figure out the way to understand something that sounds like a foreign language. "Pardon?"

"I don't have a choice." Karishma's explanation sounds so much like a begging for mercy; something Haseena doesn't have to spare for the man.

"You keep saying that. It's like that is the only excuse you can come up with for your crappy decision. Look. I've been trying to recall everything, detective, and I don't remember you hit your head. So. I seriously don't know what is up in there." Haseena stumps away with even more rage.