Chapter 17

Haseena loses his hand on her wrist and gestures to the certain officer who wants nothing more than to get out of there. "Ask your officer. He was also there. He knows exactly what happened."

"Miss Malik, kidnapping is a serious felony in the state of California and the district attorney will be the one who decides if the charges will be pressed or not." One detective informs her politely. He recites the law but somehow, it doesn't sound right.

"We found Detective Singh's fingerprints on the cuffs' strands that were used on you and also, on the gun that she possibly used to fire two rounds at Detective Park. Evidences are.... clear." Another detective adds more truths.

Haseena sighs and stokes her hair back with frustration that is about to be explode. She thinks and thinks until her brain hurts. Then, her lawyer taps her arms that cross on her chest to signal her that more things are about to leave his mouth.

"I found it is impossible for Detective Singh to force Miss Malik to go anywhere with her; both physically and mentally. If both girls were to go anywhere together, it would be nothing but consensual. Also, you yet to have any substantial verbal evidence to support your findings. What you see might not be... what it is." Haseena's lawyer says with his indifferent tone that sounds solid and scary at the same time. He is experienced and every word he articulates is filled with meanings.

"I'm sorry. Wh-Why did you find it is impossible?" One of the detectives asks with his furrowed eyebrows and he is not the only one with that motion of the eyebrows.

"Well, detectives, this is another matter that needs to be away from the media. Detective Singh and Miss Malik have been in a relationship for some time now and from what I've heard and witnessed, it is nothing but a loving relationship with no violence or whatsoever." Haseena's lawyer lies with the most convincible poker face. He even looks at those detectives in the eyes without looking anxious or nervous in his faulty words. He is doing what seems to be what Haseena wants the most; which is getting Karishma out of at least one false accusation.

"As a lawyer, you should know that providing false information to a police officer is a crime." The detective clicks his pen a couple time as he cites the law. He has obviously become nervous; too nervous.

"I do know, detective." The lawyer sits back comfortably and looks back at his notes on his lap. "And you should know that protecting the real alleged suspect is a crime. Without the two detectives' statement to match my client's and the evidence, I think we're done for now."

"Miss Malik, you're putting yourself in a very bad spot now." One of the detectives directs some sort of a warning with a tiny sprinkle of a threat to Haseena who is still dazed by the statement her lawyer has made. It is something she has been trying to make it seem to be but it is not something she has expected to come out in the open from her lawyer. "We'll be back."

"Don't threat my client, detective."

Haseena puts on her polite smile but doesn't bother to get up on her feet to send the gentlemen off on their way. After they leave the room, the silence creeps in. No one says anything or even make a tiny bit of sound. Then, the lawyer flips his note and the paper flipping sound revives the whole room.

"What?" Haseena's dad exclaims quietly; almost like a whisper he doesn't want anyone to hear but answer is still needed.

The lawyer glances from his paper to meet the intimidating eyes of SP Malik to see that his eyes are not on him but they are searching for some answers at his daughter. The lawyer looks at him and he lets his sight travel further to Aanya and James. "Miss Haseena has been at Detective Singh's apartment and visited her at the hospital. If we don't go along with that, her reputation will be ruined."