Chapter 25

Karishma is scrolling her phone through news and comments while having a bottle of beer setting on the bar in front of her. A baseball game is played on TV but no one is really watching. In fact, there are barely people in the bar as the sun is yet to set properly outside. Every time the door is swung open, the sunlight sneaks through to remind everyone inside that maybe it is still too early for that third bottle.

"Hey." Officer Maria places her hand on Karishma's shoulder as she sits herself down on the bar stool next to her. "How did it go?"

"Those in Narc were kind enough to mention Brian on the press release of Will Hughes's drug arrest." Karishma reads from the news she has on her phone. Right before Officer Maria can sit properly on the stool, she can tell by Karishma's voice that she is a little bit way off her drinking limit. She cannot blame her. At one point, everything will be too much for her and her guess is that this is the point. "I have to see a counselor. Then, I can start with the patrol."

"With Brian?" Officer Maria reaches over the bar to grab a pint and get some beer from the tab on her own. The bartender who is engaging in a conversation at one end of the bar looks and shakes his head. His bar is the first responders' hot spot and this constantly happens.

"They will assign us to someone else." Karishma puts her phone facing down on the bar and sips her beer with her eyes on the TV. "For 3 months."

"Do you want me to get you?" Officer Maria sits back down on the stool with the pint in her hand.

Karishma glances at Officer Maria with such heavy heart. She is swallowing her own words about pulling strings. At this point, she has been pulling every string whether she realizes it or not. "Can you?"

"Definitely. Zach is fine with someone else for a bit." Officer Maria leaves her beer untouched and refers to her current partner who has just passed his sixth month as a rookie. "Haseena is not home?"

"She is filming a movie; reshooting thing." Karishma sips her last drop of beer in her bottle and clears her throat. "I'm thinking about taking Jabbs to Haseena's from time to time."

"Huh." Officer Maria smirks sneakily as she starts her tasty draught beer. "So this is serious."

"Haseena is uncomfortable in her own house. I don't know. I figure it might help. Jabbs can be her company when she has to be home and I have to be out." Karishma explains something that is not entirely related to Officer Maria' statement. "I want him to get used to her house and not poop everywhere."

"Hey." The bartender takes his place behind the bar in front of them. He rests both hands on the bar; showing off his tattoos that take up every inch of his skin. He knows them well as the regulars so none of them are intimidated by one another. "Heard your girlfriend is in hospital?"

Karishma looks at Officer Maria and back at the bartender. She points at herself and at Officer Maria with the unspoken question in her eyes. "I don't have..."

"Haseena Malik is not your girlfriend? It's kind of going around on the Internet. The batender pulls back a bit and glares at his source who probably gave him the wrong info. He is ready to beat the shit out of him for making him feel a bit embarrassed. "People are talking about it."

"Is Haseena Malik my girlfriend? Haseena Malik is too beautiful. Have you seen her?" Karishma says with the high-pitched voice that suggests nothing but suspicion. She is afraid to admit and she is afraid to decline. "Whose girlfriend is in hospital again?"

Officer Maria has already got her phone out to call her girlfriend whom she is more than certain that she is beyond fine but she still wants to make sure. "Honey, you're alright?"