Chapter 6: Wow. Dirt. We've never seen dirt before

Defending Your Life 1

"Feels wonky." Dean states as he, Sam and Alexis stand in front of the Impala at the crime scene. 

"What?" Sam asked.

"Working a regular job." Dean explains.

"Yeah, because since, what, four years ago, we hardly work normal, simple jobs." Alexis shrugs, leaning against the handle of the stroller as she adjusted the blanket over the twins. Madilyn walked around Alexis, releasing her hand to take Deans. 

"Bobby will call if anything flares up on the Leviathan front." Sam tells them. "Meantime, you know you wanna work this case. Cop on the wire sounded dumbfounded."

"Pfft. No arguments." Dean nodded. "It's kind of nice. We're due for a little cut-and-dry. And, uh--" Dean pauses as the three flash their badges to the officer at the yellow tape. "And you seem good." He continued as the officer lifted the tape for them to pass. 

"I am. For me. By the way, thank you." Sam tells Dean. 

"For?" Dean asked.

"Amy." Sam sighs. "I know you didn't wanna let her go, but it was the right thing to do. Thanks."

"No problem."

~~~

Sam, Dean and Alexis walk into the hall of the apartment where the victim was killed. 

"Welcome to Crazytown Population, one dead guy." The detective tells them as they put their badges away. "Why's the feds bringing kids to work?"

"Bring you daughter to work day." Dean says as Alexis answered with. "They wouldn't give me maternity leave." 

Sam turned to look at her as Dean shot her a look.

"What? I panicked." Alexis whispered to them as the detective gave her a questioning look. 

Sam clears his throat. "Who was he?"

"Uh, Matthew Hammond." The detective answered, looking through the notebook in hand. "Seems to have been crushed to death."

"By?" Dean asked.

"If we weren't on the 10th floor I'd say by a car." 

After a few more words were exchanged, the hunters walk into the apartment. Sam pulls out a EMF detector. "It's going crazy. Some kind of ghost."

"With a license?" Dean asked.

"Eh, who needs one of those?" Alexis shrugged her shoulders.

"License to kill." Dean smiled.

Alexis shook her head, smiling a little. "You're such a dork."

"Ah, you love me."

"You're still a dork." 

"Seriously?" Sam asks the two, turning to look at them. He knelt to the floor. "Huh?"

"What you got?" Dean asks. 

"I don't know. Looks like some kind of powder."

"Sulfur?" 

"No, just dirt."

"Wow. Dirt. We've never seen dirt before." Alexis remarks. 

"Could be Christine-like." Sam straightens up.

"Yeah." Dean dug through the bowl on the counter. "Even possessed cars can't do stairs. It's something spectral. Check this out. AA, 10 years." Dean held up the chip. "Dead and sober." He tossed the coin to Sam. "Double crappy."