Chapter 16: Is it just me or does he seem stoned?

How To Win Friends And Influence Monsters 1

"Did you strip enough wire?" Sam called out to Dean.

"Yes, I stripped enough wire." Dean rolled his eyes as Sam walked toward him and Alexis, who stood at the electrical box in the old, abandoned house.

Sam clipped the one jumper cable to the wire and touch the other to another group of bare wires. The lights flickered before staying on.

"See? Told you." Dean says.

Alexis sighed. "I really hate monsters."

Bobby walked in the front door.

"Well, isn't this cozy." Dean remarked as Bobby set down the cooler.

Madilyn pulled herself up into the chair at the table as the twins sat sleeping in their bassinets.

"Yeah, well, Motel 6 just ain't leaving the light on anymore." Sam sat down.

"Well, I'm taking a page out of Frank Deveraux's bible on this." Bobby states. "Everybody is out to get you. Paranoia is just plain common sense."

"Weeks, guys. Weeks." Dean says. "We've been living with cold showers, cold Hot Pockets. Cold freaking everything. This is the bottom that we're living in. You guys get that, right?"

"Exactly. We're just asking for, like, one hot shower and an actual bed." Alexis sighs. "One night, even. Just one."

"How many big mouths are out there?" Bobby asked. "Running card traces, like Chet, or hunting us down using God knows what ways? No. Now is not the time to be laying our bed rolls out on the grid. Not if we can help it."

Suddenly the electricity crackled, making Sam, Bobby and Madilyn jump whereas Dean and Alexis stood there, defeated looks on their face. 

"That's just great." Dean nodded after the lights went out, running his hand over his jaw. Sam leaned forward, clicking on the flashlight that sat on the table. "This is stupid. I mean, our quality of life is crap." he grabbed the cooler, moving it across the room. "We got purgatory's least wanted everywhere and we're on our third The World's Screwed issue in, what, three years."

Dean rolled out a sleeping bag on the old couch. "We've steered the bus away from the cliff twice already." Dean sat down.

"Someone's gotta do it." Sam shakes his head.

"Yeah, well, I'd say it's somebody else's turn." Alexis took a seat as Madilyn walked across the room. Madilyn looked up at Dean with tired eyes, holding her arms out.

Dean lifted her onto his lap. "What if the bus wants to go over the cliff?"

"Okay, that's...a little bit too far." Alexis mutters.

"You think the world wants to end?" Sam asked.

"I think if we didn't take its belts and all its pens away each year, then yeah, the whole enchilada would have offed itself already." Dean nodded. 

"Stop trying to wrestle with the big picture, son." Bobby tells him. "You're gonna hurt your head."

Dean rolled his eyes, reaching into the cooler and pulling out a beer.

"So, what's the guff?" Bobby asked, taking Alexis's seat as she stood.

Dean lay down on the couch, situating Madilyn between the back and his side, her head on his arm. Alexis sat down on the opposite end, letting Dean rest his feet in her lap.

"Well, there have been rash of sightings all over the southern Pine Barrens." Sam explains. "A strange, fast-moving, human-like creature. Locals even have a name for it."