Chapter 7 | The First Ball

Y/n's Perspective

Y/n's Perspective

"Fuck," I cursed to myself, feeling my body hit against the marble floor with a loud thud.

Click. Click.

I winced in pain as I fell to the ground and breathed heavily, pushing my body back from the enemies at sight.

As the spider neared, I rolled aside. My shaky hands taking hold of my white wand and pointed it toward the spiders legs.

"T-This isn't fair," I called out to Alford Gaunt as we witnessed my ancient magic decline.

"It's not supposed to be fair," Alford let out bluntly, his voice cold as he looked down at me from a balcony above the training arena.

Alford Gaunt's arms were crossed and his face was stone-like as he focused intently on my ongoing anti-ancient magic struggle.

"Combat is rarely fair. It's supposed to be realistic." Alford's hands waved around with a smirk, "It's just a spider. You've done this before, haven't you?"

My blood boiled.

"You see," Alford walked normally, not caring about the spider that was nearly attacking me, "The Masquerade Balls are an important event for our society."

"Confringo—I already know that," I let out, "I have been practicing non-stop the last 72 hours. I am well aware of what is expected of me tonight,"

The Masquerade Ball was tonight. I wanted to be glad the time flew fast for this very day, but I didn't want to admit that I felt anxious over the entire thing. It was scary.

Alford looked at me with no emotion and with a click of his non-verbal magic, I could feel the access to my ancient magic pump through my blood again.

"Good," He said, his tone much more encouraging now. "Then I don't suppose I need to remind you any further."

I took a step back, feeling the rush of ancient magic course through my body, every fiber wanting to burst its power.

I lifted my arms, seeing a quick, beam of light click right into the enemy, the magic busting through its body, causing it to flip and reach death.

"Well done," Alford said his voice approving, "You're done for the morning. Get some beauty rest before the big event. This is important."

I wanted to scoff at his words. As if I ever rested while entering this torturous home.

As the days flew, The Gaunts grew some sort of kind gesture to let me roam back to my bedroom by myself. They only did this because the chip within my wrist told them every step of my location.