Chapter 15 | The Last Ball

Y/n's Perspective

Y/n's Perspective

My heavy eyes stared down at the empty outer nature of the Gaunt Manor that Friday morning. The weather was gloomier than I predicted, which was ironic, considering the entire week was full of sun that Cyndra Gaunt made me take in the gardens.

I didn't see Ominis Gaunt after the last encounter days ago. I still went to the gardens with Lippy to get "sunlight", but he never reappeared. I shouldn't have expected him. I shouldn't have expected anything from him at all -- but, yet, now that it was the day of the plan, I became fixated.

"Miss Y/n,"

The lazy posture in me adjusted quickly, my body no longer leaning on the closed bedroom window; the curtains swayed as I turned at the familiar voice.

"I—Mippy?!" I said in surprise. It had been days of seeing the elf appear.

The house elf just caressed her hands at my shock and continued, "Master wants Mippy to take Miss Y/n for breakfast."

Master. There was a hint in my head that Ominis wasn't in the home. The last few encounters with Mippy were by him.

I didn't question the elf, I just blinked and gave a nod, proceeding to walk around the carpeted space and hide the folded map over the edge of the bed.

I've memorized it by now since I've spent the last sleepless nights thinking about this very day. It was scary.

Appearing at meal times was the worst aspect of my days. I could've easily gone down the hallways and the stairs, but the family had a kink of embarrassment— making an elf apparate me mid-meals in front of them.

"She survives another week." Alford Gaunt flicked his fork at my presence.

I stood quiet as I walked carefully onto my seat and pulled it back, trying my best not to devour the breakfast below me.

"Ah, look..." In the corner of my eye, Cyndra's hands clasped together from my appearance, "Skin glows and the awful paleness is away. Perhaps the aspect of nature does help. No magic needed."

Again, I kept my eyes low as I stared down at the pancakes below me, the scent of syrup roaming on my nose.

After a minute, I was pinpointed.

"Not speaking on such day?" Alford questioned.

I can hear a chuckle emerge out of Marvolo Gaunt across from me. His mouth full of food as he gestured.

"Father, she's saving it for tonight's performance." Marvolo teased.

"But how so? If she has to remain silent." Alford furrowed, "I don't think a troll can be that hazardous."