Chapter 8 | The Messenger

Third Person Perspective

The air around him became dark and chaotic. The clouds of mist and shadow swirled over in a frenzied dance. Then in seconds, the area glowed in defeat.

Ominis Gaunt, the blind Pureblood, conjured up, yet, another powerful spell using his Gaunt heritage.

As the battle continued to rage around him, Ominis use of the Dark Arts, something he swore he'd never use, became easier and easier for him. He was slowly getting accustomed to the magic after much practice, he couldn't believe he was still alive.

"Agh," Ominis sunk to his knees, feeling the wet grass beneath him as his fingers grasped the nature.

But with the increasing ease of the dark magic, came an unexpected downside; exhaustion. As he continued to fight on, he looked less like an all-powerful wizard, and more like a blind weary warrior.

The wooden door of the Feldcroft home squeaked open later that evening. Ominis Gaunt's fingers trembled within the touch as he entered slowly, feet clicking through the floor.

"Ominis. Where were you? I was becoming worried." Anne Sallow's voice echoed through.

"Nowhere." Ominis spoke bluntly, "Nothing important."

Anne Sallow did not believe him. She has noticed the patterns of Ominis sudden departures and long intervals of leaving. She began noticing the shift of him, but didn't want to push his buttons more.

Ominis stood there firmly, hiding away his tiredness, but it became difficult while the dimmed light of the cottage made the dark circles under his pale face darken; or how his mouth was dried and his voice was raspier.

"Ominis, have you gotten proper sleep?" Anne asked in concern, attempting to get close.

Ominis sensed the worry and turned his head to the side, frowning, "No, Anne. I just been preoccupied that is all."

He was becoming bitter and Ominis began taking notice of that himself. Not that he was never bitter, but his sudden words of choice would worry Anne.

"I apologize," Ominis cleared his throat, "I have just been...busy."

"Is everything alright?" Anne asked.

Ominis stood there like a statue.

Nothing was alright. Not himself, not Anne, not Sebastian, not Y/n, and not the Wizarding World. And time ticked like a haunting eternity for Ominis.

Ominis let down his guard for a slight second, letting out a heavy sigh and resting his face.

"Listen, Anne, I want to apologize about Sebastian. I know it might seem like I'm letting time pass and extending his suffrage to him, but trust me, it's not my intention. Believe me." Ominis forced out.