Chapter 9 | The Preparation

Third Person Perspective

"You can't just go by yourself." Anne Sallow said with a voice of urgency to Ominis Gaunt.

There was tension and anxiety in the air. The word had been sent, and the next Masquerade Ball hosted by the Gaunts was near — Ominis Gaunt could no longer waste time. No matter the circumstances, he needed to leave.

He stood by the window, looking out at the dark and gloomy night as he tried to ignore Anne Sallow's worry. He was determined to leave, there was no fight.

"I can, Anne," Ominis murmured, fixing his black gloves. Although he couldn't see, he could feel the material being out of place, "Are you underestimating me because I'm blind?"

Anne passed her saliva at the questioning, but sighed, "No, Ominis...but you've spoken about the dangers of the Gaunt Manor when we were kids. Remember? Third year?"

"I remember, Anne." Ominis said with unease, "Which is why I've done enough practice to handle myself. I know the Gaunt Manor better than anyone else."

"Please, Ominis—"

"Poppy is taking long," Ominis said between his lips, his gloves curling inside his pockets as he played with the item, "I have no time."

Ominis paced along that home, guiding himself to Anne and speaking to her in a serious, directing tone.

"I have to go. You will have to owl Poppy, but listen, Anne, you're going to have to be very careful about what I'm about to say," Ominis raised his finger, hoping Anne was listening well to him.

There was a serious exchange between Ominis Gaunt and Anne Sallow that night. Their whispers were as quiet as ghosts and you could barely depict what was said in the conversation.

Anne Sallow seemed pale at the direction and took heavy painful breaths, "But Ominis, I can't, I'm sick and—"

"Yes, you can." Ominis said heavily, "You will stick with the plan, Anne. And you will be reassured that every owl exchange between you and Poppy would be burned with fire. I mean it. Victor Rookwood is not a fool."

Anne nodded, and Ominis could feel the pattern of her anxious breath from the unexpected plan.

"W-When do I...when do I do this task?" Anne asked nervously, staring down at the secured black bag within her fatigued fingers.

"I predict I'll arrive in less than 24 hours. You have before then. This is mandatory Anne, because if something happens to me, in any case," Ominis jaw clenched at the thought of risking his life for this, "They will come for it. They would come for you. For everyone. So, do you comply?"

"I-I do." Anne Sallow said, the weight of Ominis words sinking in.

Anne didn't have answers within her inner thoughts, but she knew that she had no choice, but to follow along Ominis Gaunt's demands. Anything to also get her twin brother back.