Chapter 1

Word Count: 2531 

______

Seoul, July 7th 2022 - 6:30 PM

It was a regular hot day in Seoul. Some people head to the beach, and mountains or enjoy their time during their summer break, unlike the blond-haired girl who is sitting on one of the plastic chairs outside the convenience store. She looked around and smiled at the sight of families walking around, friends or lovers. She lets her eyes close in a way that appears restful, summer winds move the deepening foliage, creating an ever-changing mosaic of light and shade. She imagines herself on Jeju beach.

It's funny how she never visited this tiny island despite being in Korea for her whole life.

"MYOUI MINA!" a guy in his mid-forties hollered as he approached her.

Mina got up immediately and bowed humbly to him "Welcome back sir"

"What are you doing outside huh? Did your shift end?" he said angrily.

Mina stared at him blankly, Oh how much she hates his wrinkles and sweaty forehead. The day was so peaceful without him, but what is a boss if he is not rude and grumpy?

"No sir I was taking a break" she replied with the fakest smile she could give "but I am going back to work right now" She bowed and headed back to her cashier, ignoring his non-ending nags, followed by a client who headed to the alcohol section.

"19 Won," said Mina as she handed the plastic bag to the teenage girl who ran outside the store to meet her friends. Simultaneously, a loud cracking sound echoed in the store. Mina ran to the sound source to see the old man cursing as he looked at the 3 shattered beer bottles.

"Fuck!" he cursed again "Bring me tissues, you useless girl!"

Mina took out two tissues from her pocket and handed them to them while he dried his hands clean "I am sorry sir but you need to pay for these three bottles"

"Pay? Why? I didn't even drink one sip of them!" he yelled a bit "It's your fault!"

"My fault? Why? You could've used a plastic basket instead of carrying them while you are obviously unsober!" she pointed out.

"You crossed the line, young girl! I guess you don't know that the client is always right huh?" he said while stepping forward, his eyes were staring right into Mina's who stepped back till her back hit the wall "You are so beautiful, young girl"

His hand was about to caress her cheek when someone patted his back. The guy turned around and was met by a hard punch. Mina gasped when she saw the old guy collapse on the floor instantly. She looked at the guy who punched him.

A 170 cm young guy with broad shoulders and nice attire. He was wearing a tight white shirt, black pants, and a Converse. He smiled at Mina and was about to introduce himself when he was cut off.

"Oh my god, what is this mess!!" Mina's boss yelled, "It's your fault!" he nudged her arm "You'll clean all of that!" Mina caressed her arm and frowned.

The young guy pushed Mina's boss away the latter widened her eyes at his behavior "It's not her fault this asshole broke these bottles and assaulted her!"

"So what? It's not the first time someone has done this! I pay her and give her a bonus every month so she can handle these things"

The guy laughed and looked around "So you manage this place with this sick mentality huh? Great, consider that this is her last day he-"

Mina widened her eyes "I will clean this mess, sir. But let me talk to him first" she said pushing the guy outside the store "What is wrong with you? Who are you to butt in and take decisions instead of me! What if he made a deduction from my salary!"