𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟻 - 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚢 𝚎𝚢𝚎𝚜

𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟓 - ♪ 𝒆𝒑𝒊𝒑𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒚 ♪
(𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒂𝒚𝒍𝒐𝒓 𝒔𝒘𝒊𝒇𝒕)
09.22.04

𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘶𝘵𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘱
𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘦𝘱𝘪𝘱𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘺.
𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘦 𝘨𝘭𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘧
𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘯.

𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘦 𝘨𝘭𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘦𝘧𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘯

⋆ ୨ ♡ ୧ ⋆

"BYE MOM, BYE dad!" leah yelled as she opened the front door to her home.

"get to school safe, hon!" a woman's voice called. "we'll see you later for dinner!" a man's voice followed. they were loving voices, caring voices, those of which belonged to leah's parents. these phrases that called out to her as she left for school were nothing new; she'd heard the same string of words many times before. if she knew this would be the last time she heard them, she would have appreciated them more.

leah walked to school everyday, regardless of how long the walk was. she loved to do it- the nice breeze that hit her face while she walked in the fall, the bitter coldness in the winter, and then walking through the park during the spring to watch how the trees changed everyday.

the day at school was normal; another test that she aced with ease, sitting alone in the library during lunch to read her latest murder mystery novel, and talked to shayne whenever she had the chance to.

she had work after school today, a shift longer than her usual ones. she had been working at the strand for a few months now, the place where her and shayne have been hanging out everyday after school regardless of leah being on duty. her parents didn't mind that she had to work late that night. her father said that an old friend from work was coming over for dinner, and they didn't mind if leah showed or not. during some late shifts leah typically picked something up to eat for herself on the way home anyway.

when her and shayne arrived at the strand after school ended, shayne took a seat at the closest table to the register as leah changed into her uniform. her and shayne always talked about anything and everything, joking about how school was overrated and they should just drop out, or making fun of the head cheerleader who caused a fit over a lost lipgloss- silly high school drama amused them immensely, considering it made them feel like they were living in some shitty high school coming-of-age.

when 8pm finally came along, shayne had already been picked up by his mom. she said goodbye to her fellow coworker as she locked the gate of the strand and embarked on her journey home. she took her time on her walk, taking a detour through the park to look at the color of nature changed with the sun setting.

before she knew it, she was walking up her street. it was 9:30 now, and she looked up from the ground at her house as she became closer to it. she slowed her pace as a confused thought entered her mind- she had the impression that her dad's friend would have still been there, but all of the lights in the house were off. perhaps they ended the night early and her parents had went to bed. this wasn't abnormal, leah thought. of course, until she realized that her parents usually leave at least one light on for her when she's out. nonetheless, she brushed the weird feeling off and walked up to her front door, turning the knob and opening the door, however the door didn't open. it was this moment leah knew something must have been wrong, and her heart dropped as she stood outside her locked home. her parents always left the door open for her.

thankfully, she had taken her keys with her to work today. trying once more to be rid the feeling she felt, she pulled out her keys and unlocked the door. opening it, she yelled. "mom? dad?" but nobody answered.

there was nothing in the kitchen. she turned the lights on one switch at a time, keeping her eyes set on the right side of her house, surveying the area. as her eyes shifted to the opposite side, she had to force herself to stay standing and not fall to her knees helplessly.

there they were, her parents, tied up, laid out on the floor of the living room in a pool of blood.

she was stunned. she didn't know what to do. cry? call the police? she knew what she needed to do. but for now, she stood there, frozen in silence, grieving her parents. she looked away, not being able to stand it after a few moments. she glanced out the window to see two figures leave from her gated backyard. them, she thought, it has to have been them.

one of the figures turns around to look at the figure behind them. in doing so, they see leah staring from the window. she made eye contact with the bigger figure, only seeing his grey, piercing eyes through a black mask. usually, a high school girl would pose no threat. but something in leah's stare scared them, and they rushed their friend quickly as they ran away, into the darkness.

it was then leah rushed to the phone. fuck. she hesitated. they're going to get away.

"911, what is your emergency?"

leah opened her mouth to answer, but no words came out.

police showed up eventually. they place leah into a police car as they stuff her parents into bags. "tell me everything," the officer told her across the table.

and so she did. she tried her best to recall the quick events that occurred that night, remembering every detail. she knew it would help.

the figure who had turned around, she remembered. they were getting angry with their friend, who was taller than them. they could have been a more aggressive and dominant figure while the other was more nervous and quiet. the eyes she had stared into very a shiny, silver color. she thought more, but that was all she could remember.

"we found this on the dining room table in your home," the nice officer set a wrapped up object on the table. "take your time, but could you let me know if it meant anything to you or your parents?"

the man put gloves on and unwrapped the object. there lay a once beautiful, white lily, now red and soaked in blood. and leah really did try. but she just didn't know.

she left the room and into the main room of the station, seeing shayne and his mom standing there together, pacing, just as in shock as leah was when she found her parents. shayne looks over and sees leah walk towards them slowly, with a lot of edge and hesitation in her step. "leah," he whispered, unsure of what to say. instead of going on, he just opened his arms, letting her enter them as he comforted her. it was then shayne's mom offered her their home until she was ready to leave. as they drove home, all leah wanted to do was forget. as she laid her head on the car window, tears staining her face and her clothes, leah closed her eyes, trying to forget. but every time she closed them, she saw those silver eyes once more, and image forever burned into her retina.