sixteen

Florence was walking down the street to get home. It was dark and cold and couldn't wait to get inside and sit in front of the fire with her little family.

She had a strange feeling run through her body. Someone was following her. She sped up her pace a little bit. A few houses from her own someone grabbed her arm and pulled her back. She tried her hardest to fight them off.

"Stop fighting me you little bitch!" The man's voice shouted. It was James. Panic ran through her body. "Get off me!" She screamed fighting him in the alleyway. Something sharp pierced her skin and she felt blood trickle down.

James had stabbed her but before he could get away three men had appeared at the end. Flo was happy she could see her cousins. Arthur and John ran towards him and began to beat him to a pulp whilst Tommy helped Florence up.

"Tommy stop! I can't. It hurts." She said breathlessly. "I'm not letting you fucking die Flo! I'm getting you to a hospital!" Tommy shouted at her. "No!" She shook her head. Tommy ignored her, picked her up and took her to the hospital.

"Where is she?" Polly shouted at one of the nurses. "Down the hall." The nurse said quietly afraid of her. Florence laid there asleep after having surgery. Tommy was sat there next to her as Polly walked in with Anna.

"You said he wouldn't go near her and no one would get hurt." Polly glared at Tommy. "The doctors said she should be fine." He stood up and lit a cigarette. "Should be? Tommy she's got a child to think about! Anyways where's Isiah?" Polly asked.

"He's at home with Ellie. He doesn't want her to see Flo like this." He said. "I'll go and sit with Ell and tell him to come." Anna said as she kissed her sister on the head goodbye.

Darkness had appeared outside through the window where Isiah was watching. It was just him and Flo in the room. He said next to her stroking his thumb along her hand.

A nurse had walked in to check her obs and her wound. "If you'd like to get some sleep sir I can stay here and sit with her so she's not alone." She offered. "Your alright. I'll stay here with her." He slightly smiled at the nurse grateful that she offered.

"How is she?" He asked. "She seems to be doing okay. Everything seems normal, it's just waiting for her to wake up." The nurse informed and walked out.

After a week of being in the hospital Flo was finally allowed home. She had been drinking bottles of whiskey like no tomorrow. "Get to bed!" Isiah told her. She was sat in the living room drunk whilst Ellie played on the floor.

"No." Flo huffed. "Ell go upstairs for me, good girl." Isiah told his daughter as she looked at her mum concerned as she walked out the room. "This needs to stop now! We've got a child, she doesn't know what's going on but she knows somethings wrong." He shouted.

"Leave me alone Siah." She looked into the fire. "Stop fucking drinking then. I've spent all week looking after Ellie and you, not going to fucking work." Isiah shouted. "Oh I am truly sorry that I got stabbed, nearly died on a fucking operating table." She shouted back.

Isiah huffed not wanting to argue anymore even though he started it. Florence sat on the sofa and stared into the fire as she heard the door slam. She heard little footsteps come down the stairs and into the living room.

"I'm sorry Ell." She kissed her daughter on the head. "You nearly died?" Ellie asked sadly. Florence bit the inside of her cheek and hated the fact her daughter heard the argument.

"I'm okay. I'm not going anywhere I promise. I'm not leaving you. Not now, not ever." She held her tightly. "Where's daddy gone? I heard him go out." Ellie questioned. "I don't know darling. He's angry with me. We'll be alright though. Come on it's late you should be asleep." Florence slowly stood up off the sofa being careful of her stitches.

Once they were upstairs Flo put Ellie to bed, then went into her bedroom. She got into bed and rolled onto her side. She never could sleep until Isiah was back home. But she knew he would be hours. She was sorry and wanted to make things right. But her mental state wouldn't let her.