1988, 9999: 5

They've been tailing the pegasus security guard for the entire day, and even the latest area check from the dark sky hasn't shown any lights on the horizon. Wherever he's travelling to, he's still way away.

1988, as an infiltrator, has been leading the pursuit. 8622, much less used to sneaking around as a hive guard has kept her distance. Thankfully, the security guard hasn't been travelling quickly, apparently knowing the trip would be a marathon rather than a sprint. For the two changelings it meant they've been able to keep up. In general, the bigger wings of pegasi allow them to fly faster than changelings while the changeling ones allow for better maneuverability.

Buzzing through the air, 1988 locks his eyes on the tiny lit dot ahead which slowly begins its descent into the endless forests underneath.

Okay, so... roughly 16 hours away from the camp and he's been flying the whole time. If I'm exhausted and I refilled on love before we left, he's bound to be too. Unfortunately, he can just eat dinner, have a rest, and be alright tomorrow. I'm running on batteries here.

He connects to 8622 and says through their hive link:

"This is probably our best chance to ambush him. I'm going to need energy to mess with his head and to return back to the camp."

"Understood," replies 8622 simply, "Plan?"

"Take him out without leaving a mark. I'll check what the message he's carrying contains and scramble his short-term memory so that he has on idea what happened. We do it like this..."

Several minutes later, the quiet buzzing of 8622's wings makes the security guard look up from a small heater he's set up under a tree and immediately jump towards his backpack.

8622 tackles him to the ground, unwilling to punch him out. Any physical marks of their encounter would only lead to suspicion and make 1988's mind-manipulation more difficult. The guard under her primes his hind legs and kicks upwards, sending the lighter changeling tumbling backwards.

Just as she gets up and charges at him again, he manages to reach into his backpack and throw something small at her which explodes mid-way into brilliant white flash lighting a good chunk of the forest.

"I knew you weren't to be trusted!" growls the pegasus as he stops shielding his eyes and pulls out a telescopic blackjack from the backpack. 8622 backs off on three legs, covering her face with the fourth but for all intents and purposes she's blind. Fortunately, she's still a warrior and the sound of hoofsteps as well as the swish of the blackjack swinging toward her through the air allow her to sidestep the first blow.

Not the following punch, though, as the guard surprises her by not going for a big weapon swing again, instead simply disorienting her further.

*Swish!*

8622 backs off successfully this time, blinking over and over to repair her vision. Just a few more seconds and she'll be able to fight ba-

With another step backwards, she trips on an unexpected upwards slope and falls on her backside. She hears the pegasus jump forward and raises both forelegs to block the inevitable blow...

...which doesn't come. All she hears are strained noises followed by a quiet thud.

"Took your sweet time..." she comments.

"Sorry, this needed a pretty specific type of venom and I'm a lot more exhausted than I thought," replies 1988, standing over the unconscious pegasus sporting a vampire-like bite mark on his neck, "Take a breather, I'll check his bag."