1988, 9999: 13

Despite the shaken detachment caused by 57999's words fading away only slowly, 9999's reassurance that it will think of... something sounds far more genuine than it feels in the drone's mind. Think of what, though?

"So, we're supposed to stay here until 1988 returns..." it says instead, leaving the end of the sentence hanging.

"And we're not allowed to bother 17070 until it's ready to show us what it's doing," adds 20100.

"Nap?" 36658 offers the usual solution to undefined time. It's like worky time and sleepy time back home, but adapted for their current circumstances. One exchange of glances and nods later, the drones simply curl up, yawn, and close their eyes.

Left alone, 9999 sighs.

"So I'm a high rank now, huh? Sure doesn't feel like it..."

What can a DRONE really do when faced with the rules of the hive and orders from high ranks?

Something wet and warm slips along the tip of its ear, making 9999 gasp. Considering that the usual reaction of a spooked drone is a panicked dash in the opposite direction, a small part of 9999 which keeps its cool makes it simply turn its head and face the Silent that just licked its ear.

"Do you need anything?" asks 9999 despite knowing that there's no way it can get an answer. The Silent stops moving entirely, clearly required to drop everything else in order to process such a complex question.

Both corners of its mouth curl up.

It's mouth cracks open to show its teeth.

The rest of its face remains completely blank.

It looks at 9999, possibly... expecting something to happen?

"Is it that obvious?" asks 9999 quietly, "I was trying to not let it show, but I have no idea what to do. They believe I can change things now. The best thing I can do is still the same thing I did before - pull someone from under a cave-in, throw the biggest rock I can find at a pursuing skittery cruncher, or in the worst case just jump in the way of something dangerous and try to dig it. They want to go back home, I can feel it. They miss digging, they miss the tunnels, they miss the surprise of finding something new to trade, they even miss the occasional escape from monsters. But they just want all that without knowing that their worst enemies are other starving changelings. You know what they would love the most? If they could spend half of their day up here, in the world of color and ponies who like them, and then go underground to dig up some tunnels for the hive and do all the moving our eggs need. Holes, with enough love from the ponies I doubt they'd even bother sleeping," 9999 sighs, "But that's just not how the world works. I can't make that happen."

The Silent resumes processing before standing up, walking over to the bug zapper, and turning it on and back off a few times before pointing at 9999 who does a passable impression of the Silent's blank face. Not losing the smile plastered on its face, it brings the zapper and puts it down directly between 9999's forelegs.

"Why did you bring the zap- shiny..." breathes out 9999, correcting itself when it realizes what the Silent is trying to gesture at... probably, "Not you too," it shakes its head.

The Silent remains staring and smiling.

"Fine. If you're so intent on me being Shiny Bringer, then I'll call you Smiley," 9999 jabs the larger Silent's chest.

No response. It seems that Smiley's mind has exhausted its limited options.

With nothing more to do and unwilling to bother 17070, 9999 simply sits down, turns the bug zapper on, and begins looking into the blue glow.