1988, 9999: 12

It's barely morning as the first rays of sunlight pierce the tree canopy after the encounter with the 'the biggest shiny', and all drones are watching 1988's horn shimmer green as he digs through 9999's memories of the wild last night. As they all know, it'll still be nearly two hours before the lumber camp ponies set off to work so right now it's still time to rest. On the other hole, a thing is happening, so their natural curiosity doesn't allow them to just drift off again.

"Hmmm," 1988's horn finally goes dim and he rubs his chin.

"Errfin flls nummm..." 9999's eyes cross as it keels over on the soft grass.

None of the other drones move, as their links tell them that 9999 is okay, just tired from the detailed examination of its mind. Several of them are familiar with the process of high ranks obtaining information from drones and while normally there used to be about fifty-fifty chance of the drone being confused for the rest of their rapidly shortened life back home, 9999 was adamant about doing this and 1988 looked careful as he did his thing.

"I'll be frank, our situation isn't good," says 1988 after some thought, "But you did a remarkably good job at leading the ponies away. Hole, I've known warriors who would have panicked and ran off straight back here with them in tow. Extremely well done, 9999."

A round of applause bursts out from the previously sleepy drones, all of them suddenly alive and straight up jumping up and down.

"WOOO!"
"Yaaaaay!"
"Go, High Score! Go High Score!"
"CELEBRATION PILE!"

1988 raises an eyebrow as the drones jump on each other.

"Ughhh..." 9999 sits up, blinking out of sync.

1988 clops his forelegs together loudly to draw the drones' attention and receives a bunch of teal pairs of eyes locked on himself.

"Does this basic praise really mean so much to you?" he asks.

*Nod nod nod!*

"I can expl-uhhh," 9999 moans, "...why am I so loud...?"

"No need," 1988 shakes his head and pats 9999, "I think I'm starting to understand you guys, whether I want to or not," he stands up and walks over to the drone pile, "All of you did a great job. Your ability to gain genuine affection would put some infiltrators to shame."

He continues, patting the head of each individual drone:

"36658, I'm not about to call you a drug dealer, but without you we would have had a much tougher time healing all of us."
"57999, well, you supported 36658 and you helped ponies chill out with your drugs so that they would accept us easier."
"20100, where others connected to adults, you found your niche with the few foals here and, hopefully, you'll bring your moving pictures back home in some capacity and they'll catch on."
"17070, you sacrificed your health to prove- try to prove that you can learn more than just digging, and found a pony who appreciates you. You might not see Ladle's emotions like I do, but you sure got under her skin, in a good way."
"Umm, and you too, Silent. You might not have connected with ponies like the others, but you guarded this place which allowed them to go out and do their thing."

With all drones, aside from the Silent who is still watching his hoof after having its head stroked, completely stunned and staring at him slack-jawed, 1988 starts pacing.

"...I'm never washing this head again..." whispers someone.

"...you have a different one? You can't have another one..."

"...you don't know that!"

"...that's illegal! The Queen said so..."

"...no, she didn't!"