1988, 9999: 10

Luckily for the duo of bark-eating drones, the trip to the poppy field was uneventful and the copy of Sawtooth's map depicted landmarks well enough for 36658 and 57999 to not lose their way.

That is, until 57999 scouting ahead finds its progress forcibly stopped.

"Goop! There's a barrier. Soft metal thingy," it bumps into the metal 'thingy' and bounces off, "Tough but springy too. Must be magic!"

"Hmmm," 36658's hoof digs through the chain link fence without any resistance, cutting out an uneven hole, "We gotta grab this. Do you have any idea what we could trade all this for?"

"No?"

"MANY things."

"Oh my holes! Soo... square metal thingy first, then popsicles?"

"Yup."

With the chain link fence proving no match for the drones' digging instinct, the duo quickly roll up the cut off fence and fasten it to 36658's back with globs of goo.

The main objective comes next, and both drones mix eating the poppies with filling the two bags they got from Sawtooth. The field seems massive and the two bags get filled up soon. However, the duo catch barking from the distance followed by loud rustling quickly approaching them.

The drones clearly overstayed their welcome.

"Bitey woofers! Mozzarella it!" calls out 36658 when it notices a shape rushing through the plants.

"Woooow! You speak fancy?" asks 57999, dashing by its friend's side and helping it by supporting the bulk of the bag.

"Mister Hacksmith told me so many things!"

Unfortunately, drones aren't the best long-distance runners, and the loud noises closing the distance from behind are relentless.

"The woofers are too fast! I think it was their stash," comments 36658.

"You can't have a stash that's not hidden! If it's not hidden, it's everyone's!"

"Maybe they're just bad at hiding stuff and we found their stash!"

That, indeed, would be breaking the unspoken drone code.

"Huh. Yeah, that would be against the rules. On the other hole, a pony will lose his leg if we give the pops back."

"Got an idea! Let's trade," 36658 nods sideways, "You've got a fresh batch in you, right?"

57999 tosses a fresh hoofful of presumed agonyslayers the dogs' way. Almost without thinking, the dogs lick all the scattered bits stuck to their muzzles without slowing.

At first, that is. A short moment later, the pursuit stops and the dogs drop on the ground.

"Hey, I think it worked!" cheers 36658.

"We should come back with the new tormentannihilators!" 57999 pauses, "Wait, we did! We ate all those poppers. I think they worked really well on the woofers."

"WHAT THE HAY HAPPENED TO THE DOGS?!" screams a new, furious voice in the distance.

"THEY'RE JUST SLEEPY!" yells 57999 in response.

"ARE YOU THE BASTARD WHO STOLE OUR FENCE?!" the voice continues.

"WHAT'S A FENCE?"

"I WILL FIND YOU AND GUT YOU, WHOEVER YOU ARE!"

"On second thought, we shouldn't come back. Ever," concludes 36658, "If they have more woofers, they'll catch up."

"How about the split tunnel trick? You take the bags and I draw them thataway!" 57999 points in a random direction.