Chapter Twenty Nine

Nada was immersed in a whirlwind of work, trying to focus on the cases on her apartment's coffee table. The pile of files seemed to mirror the jumbled mess of thoughts swirling in her mind. She had deliberately buried herself in her work, attempting to divert her attention from the lingering pain of the past. The memory of her parents' expressions was a vivid scar etched into her consciousness.

As the afternoon sun cast long shadows across her apartment, Nada sighed deeply, her eyes tracing the words on the paper without really absorbing their meaning. She knew her parents' expectations had been shattered, their dreams for her future thrown into disarray. It was hard not to dwell on those broken dreams, especially when the remnants of them were so fresh in her mind.

The digital buzz of her phone snapped her out of her reverie. It was Jisung. His message brought a soft smile to her lips: "Bringing food over. Don't even try to protest. I'll be there soon."Her heart warmed at the thought of his consideration. It wasn't just about the food; it was the fact that he knew her well enough to understand that she probably hadn't eaten anything all day.

True to his word, there was a knock at her door just a short while later. Nada opened it to find Jisung standing there, a bag of takeout in his hand and a concerned expression on his face. She couldn't help but smile at the sight of him. "You're a lifesaver," she said as she stepped aside to let him in.

Jisung grinned. "Well, someone's got to make sure you're not surviving solely on caffeine and stress."

They settled on her couch, the aroma of the food filling the room as they began to eat. Nada could feel the knots in her stomach gradually loosening as she indulged in a few bites. It was strange how her body had forgotten the sensation of hunger amidst all the emotional turmoil.Conversation flowed easily between them, though Nada couldn't shake the feeling that Jisung was holding something back. His eyes flickered with an unspoken question, his concern for her evident in his gaze. She sensed his hesitation, his desire to tread carefully around whatever was troubling her.

"You know," Nada finally said, breaking the silence that had settled between them, "you don't have to tiptoe around me. If you've got something on your mind, just spill it."

Jisung sighed, his shoulders relaxing slightly. "I just... I wanted to ask about you and Minho. I mean, the whole marriage thing. I didn't want to bring it up if you're not ready to talk about it."Nada's heart skipped a beat, and she looked down at her food, suddenly feeling a mix of emotions. "It's not a real marriage," she confessed, her voice tinged with a mixture of bitterness and resignation. "Minho did it to protect me from Adam's madness."

Jisung's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Wait, so you're not actually married?"Nada shook her head, a wistful smile on her lips.

Relief washed over Jisung's face, followed by a hint of a smile. "Thank goodness. I was worried I missed out on a major life event."

Nada chuckled. "No, you haven't missed anything. And trust me, when the real big day comes, you'll be the first to know."

Jisung's grin returned, and he playfully pointed a chip at her. "You better keep that promise."With a light laugh, Nada nodded. "I will."

Jisung cleared their empty plates, setting up the coffee table for dessert. As they settled back into a more comfortable silence, Nada's thoughts drifted back to the pain etched onto her parents' faces. Despite Minho's noble intentions, she couldn't shake off the residual sadness that gnawed at her heart.

———————————————————————————

In the dimly lit car, Adam sat brooding beside his father, his clenched fists resting on his thighs. The rhythmic hum of the engine and the distant city lights passing by seemed to mirror the turmoil inside him. His heart raced, his face contorted with anger, and his mind replayed Minho's words like a broken record.