Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

~Liam's POV~

I nodded at Zack as he drove off. I was carrying Michael and thankfully, Andi had noticed Zack's car pulling up and held the door open for me. I walked up stairs and into Michael's room. I quickly undressed him and put him in the bed. After giving Carmen and Andi a brief over view of what happened and letting them know that everything was okay, I headed back up stairs and got into bed with Michael.

However, I couldn't sleep. Not after hearing that story. I didn't really know what to think. I just rolled over in the bed and looked at Michael sleeping. His face was relaxed and his hair was getting kind of long so it spilled out over his head and on the pillow in a mess. I lightly ran a hand through the soft light brown strands of hair and my hand trailed down his face. They brushed slightly over his lips and he twitched a little before settling again.

Looking at Michael, I couldn't even begin to think about how much pain he went through. All the suffering. Even when he was just talking about it, I could feel it like it was happening to me. Michael losing Aden and not knowing anything about the actual death must drive him crazy. But maybe it was best he didn't know. If he completely shut down just from knowing that Aden died, I could only imagine what he would have been like if he knew how Aden died. That maybe if he knew, Zack wouldn't have been able to draw a response out of him. That maybe Michael wouldn't even be here.

That was the worse thought.

That my beautiful, funny, sarcastic, intelligent Michael wouldn't be around. That he could have killed himself. And just the thought made my heart break. I wrapped my arms around Michael and held him tightly to my chest. He cuddled into me and I let out a shaky breath. I didn't want him to leave. I would probably cry until I died.

And now that I think about it, that's probably what Michael felt like. He said he talked himself into believing that Aden's death was his fault. That explains why he felt unworthy of love. But in my eyes it the exact opposite. Because he lost someone that he loved – someone as special as Aden – he deserved love that much more. He deserved to know and be reminded that it was not his fault. That he wasn't in the wrong. And that even with everything that happened with Aden, he could still find love again.

I couldn't replace Aden. I know that. I'll never be able to replace Aden. That was Michael's first love. His world and life. His everything at the time. Probably still is. I didn't want to replace Aden. I could never do that. But I did want to love Michael. I wanted to stand by his side and be with him. I wanted Michael to look at me and know that I love him and accept that. And hopefully, he'll love me back.

Eventually, I fell asleep. My brain filled with heavy and depressing thoughts. When I woke up it was too bright and I felt very warm. And then I realized that it was just Michael clinging to me. I smiled to myself as I looked down at him. I kissed the top of his head and watched as his eyes slowly opened. Bright green meeting dark brown.

"Good morning." I said quietly.

Michael gave me a small smile, "Morning."

"What do you want to do today? It's Sunday so we still have school tomorrow but if you're not feeling up to it I can have my mom call up to school and excuse us." I suggested. I didn't want him to exert himself. After such an eventful weekend I don't want to pile school stress on top of that.

But Michael just shook his head. "It's fine. I can still go to school tomorrow. I just wanna cuddle. And eat something, I'm starving." He mumbled into my chest, already closing his eyes again.

I frowned a little thinking about how I didn't eat much yesterday either. Although, it seems that Michael was going to need some babying right now, which I don't mind. I kind of made me smile a little at how cute he was. I got out of bed and he groaned in frustration. This time I laughed out loud as I went into the bathroom. I saw Michael's body slowly rise up from the bed as I brushed my teeth.