Chapter 11

Two Types of Love: Beam.

⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰

Light Years Away, G.E.M.

*・゚:*・゚: *.*:・゚ .: *・゚: .

Beam came back to his wake with Forth's calm voice in the background talking about some numbers and systems that sounded foreign to both his ears and his brain.

When he finally managed to open his heavy eyelids, Beam was greeted by the sight of Forth scrolling on his smart tablet with a digital pen in his hand and earbud in his left ear.

"Yeah, next month should be fine. But if it's the end of this month it would be a stretch." Forth confirmed it firmly.

A silence followed suit. Probably the other end was trying to convince Forth otherwise because the tanned guy was frowning quietly.

Forth: "I mean, we can try but I will not promise anything as the percent of chance that we'd get it completed by early next month is not even fifty."

Beam moved to stretch his sore muscle.

He had been unconsciously sleeping on his side, and with the seatbelt still attached safely around his body, his limbs ended up twisted in a weird way.

The tanned guy seemed to notice that he was awake then because the taller one glanced at him wordlessly.

Beam took this chance to look around.

It seemed like Forth had found a parking spot near Beam's apartment building.

The young doctor blinked. "Alright, sure. Then I will send out the details to you soon. Yeah, no problem."

Beam turned his head towards Forth.

"Have you been waiting for a long time? You could've just woke me up."

Forth threw the table to the back seat wordlessly before turning towards Beam.

"You seemed to be deep asleep. I can just wait."

"You really have never changed." Beam sighed in despair.

He then continued in a quiet voice: "Don't be too kind, Forth. People might think you're easy to fool and manipulate."

Beam felt like he was talking from experience.

Part of him felt sad as to how he learned such harshness of reality, but another part of him felt nothing about that fact. He felt like he was stuck in between feeling everything and numbness constantly.

Forth chuckled lightly.

He then softly argued: "I'm not kind to just anyone."

"Like I'd believe you." Beam thought as he rolled his eyes lazily.

Beam unfastened the seatbelt.

"Alas, I'm going to head in. Thank you, Forth. Drive back safely."

He opened the car door on his side and jumped off the car. He just closed the door when Forth called out for him from the then opened window.

"Hey, Bee. Can... Can I contact you?" Forth asked, although with much clear hesitance.

Beam blinked.

"Why?" The young doctor accidentally asked out loud.

He did not mean for it to be uttered verbally. The question was for himself: why was Forth even asking?

But it was too late to take it back.

Beam noticed how taken aback Forth was by that one worded question. It was as if a bucket of cold water was poured onto the his head. Beam saw how his eyes faltered, as if some sort of question he had been deducing finally drew to a solid answer.

"Ah, sorry, I was just casually asking." Forth replied belatedly as he tried his best to put on a smile.

The smile that the tanned guy managed to carve looked so off-put.

Beam opened his lips to clear the misunderstanding. Because it was so obvious that Forth had misunderstood. But the tanned guy was faster to cut him off.

"Get well soon, Beam. Take care." Forth said before putting a small smile.

Beam was stunned at how disheartened that small smile looked. He was so stunned that he did not realize that the tanned guy had rolled the window up and drove away.

The young pediatrician did not know how many minutes had passed, but he found himself staring at the spot where Forth's car used to park for quite a while.

But no matter how much he squeezed his brain to come up to a conclusion as to why the guy reacted the way he did, Beam shut his thoughts off.

Beam blinked a few times in silence. Before he gradually dragged himself to his own apartment unit.

*・゚:*・゚: *.*:・゚ .: *・゚: .

⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷