Chapter 1

🎶: 'Sculpture' by G-IDLE

"A coffee please?"

"What kind?"

"Macchiato, small."

"Alrighty."

The cash register lady typed in his order and printed the receipt.

"That would be five dollars."

"Here you go."

A five dollar bill was passed to her, and she accepted it. 

"Will be done in a jiffy sir."

"Thank you."

Kai sighed as he leaned against the counter, taking his surroundings in and out of the little café he was in.

People of all ages were sitting around the wooden tables in cushioned booths, conversing with each other, occasionally laughing and taking their phones out, probably to show photos to their friends. While some were simply enjoying a little meal consisting of cake, cupcakes, pies, and either coffee or hot chocolate with dollops of whipped cream on top as their beverage.

Hmm... I doubt the Daily Honolulu would want a poem about random people sitting in a café.

"Sir?"

Kai snapped out of his thoughts and looked at the cash register lady, who held a styrofoam cup in her hand.

"Your coffee."

"Oh, thank you."

Kai politely accepted the coffee and grabbed his briefcase.

"Have a good day ma'am."

"You too sir."

The ravenette exited the building and sighed, taking a sip of his freshly warmly brewed coffee, immune to its heat.

"And off to work we go."

Kai started walking down the street on the sidewalks, passing by a bunch of thrift stores, shops, tourists, pedestrians, and some birds flying through the sky.

He observed the way the sun's rays touched everything they could, listened to the breeze rustling through the palm trees, hoping for some kind of inspiration.

Nothing.

His mind was completely empty.

"At this rate I'm gonna get fired," he groaned.

BEEP!

Kai stepped back just in time before a motorcycle zoomed by, cursed to himself for a moment, and lo and behold, he was in front of his workplace.

The Daily Honolulu stood in proud letters on top of the overhanging eave in front of the shiny, glass tainted building.

Anyone would dream of working there.

It was the most prestigious newspaper organization in all of Hawaii, with the most accurate information too, but not just that.

Movie reviews, recipes (not from Pinterest), the latest hits on Spotify, recent award show results across the globe, and so much more could be found, as well as fun cartoons for children to read and look at.

There was also a special page for short writings, and poems.

DH had a whole section of creative writers in the west wing, dedicated to writing stories and poems for the newspaper in hopes of pursuing a writing career. Some of the best Hawaiian authors started off there.