Chapter 20

🎶: 'West Coast' by Lana Del Rey

The wheels of the bus rumbled beneath him, until they came to a sudden and abrupt stop.

"Next stop, Daily Honolulu Headquarters."

Kai furrowed his brows as he blinked his eyes open, realizing this was his stop. He instantly leapt out of his cushioned seat, sprinted towards the closing doors, and pressed the stop button to keep them open.

The bus driver gave him a look.

"It's your lucky day," he sarcastically remarked.

Kai bowed his head in embarrassment.

"My bad. I fell asleep."

"Aha. Enjoy your day."

The ravenette stepped off the bus, sunlight pouring onto his skin, kissing it, while the wheels hissing as the engine sprang back into motion.

"You too sir."

As the bus drove off, Kai took a moment to glance at his familiar surroundings, sighing as he took them back in.

A couple days have passed since his return from Indonesia, and this whole time... Kai felt odd.

Yes, this was his home country, his homeland, but...

Actually, not but, why?

Why did I think things would be... different?

Nothing was different at all. 

The houses, apartment complexes, local shops and major company buildings all stayed the exact same way they were beforehand, people were as busy as ever, and traffic was just as horrible as Kai remembered.

Yet so much had changed for him in the weeks he wasn't here, which made the twinge of unfamiliarity so strong.

Kai returned to his desk for the first time in weeks.

He had needed an extra week off to readjust to Hawaii, because for some reason, his Jet Lag tolerance went completely haywire, and his sleeping patterns had been extremely uneven (for reasons Lea and Bahiyyih couldn't figure out but Kai knew why, he just didn't say it out loud).

Thus, this is the first time in almost a month where he has gone to the office headquarters.

He settled down into his seat, sighing as he looked around.

"Same old, same old."

The computer was untouched, an army of pencils and pencil sharpeners were gathered in his collecting cup, and a stack of extra paper under his spare notebooks still sat in the corner.

Another defeated sigh left him.

Well, seeing as how Boss didn't call me into his office, everything got rejected. Great. Just gre—

"Kai?"

The aforementioned quickly spun around in his swivel chair, almost jumping out of it and hitting the ceiling to properly greet him had he not made the hand gesture to stay seated.

"Oh, hello sir!"

"Welcome back, how was your trip to Indonesia?"

Being the polite man he was, Kai shook hands with his boss, Stanley Millers, CEO of the Daily Honolulu and a renowned editor.

"Wonderful sir," Kai replied with a professional smile.

Because it truly was.

"I can tell, you seem much more radiant compared to the weeks beforehand. It reflects in your work."