Chapter 18

Beomgyu kept himself steady as he held onto the sturdy tree branch tightly, reaching up, and plucking the mango right off its stem.

"That's four so far."

"One more to go?" Kai asked.

"Yup."

The brunette wandered his eyes around to find another ripe fruit, this time a branch higher. But that was not a problem for him.

"I'm going up!"

"Okay, be careful!"

"I always am."

Climbing trees was my forte back in the day.

Beomgyu warily crawled backwards to the tree trunk, his grip on the bark firm as he placed his foot into a stud sticking out of it, and began climbing the tree up.

Meanwhile, Kai just watched him from down below.

Just like everything about Beomgyu, standing there and watching him ascend the tree so effortlessly, almost like a little chimp swinging through the trees to play, was simply fascinating to see.

The brunette found the next mango, grabbed the fruit, and plucked it right off the branch.

"We're done!"

"Nice!"

Beomgyu tossed the fruit downwards, and Kai caught it in his hands, careful to not squish it by accident. While he placed it into the basket, the older climbed the tree down again, not slipping or falling in the process.

He jumped off the trunk when he was just roughly a meter away from the ground, and landed on his two feet.

"Do we have everything?"

"I think so."

"Mind if I double check?"

"Be my guest."

Beomgyu nodded and knelt down next to the fruit basket the two had brought along, inspecting if they had everything they needed for their planned meal.

And that's when Kai's phone buzzed.

He pulled the device out of his pocket and checked the display screen.

2 new messages from Lea 💛✨

Huh, what could she be texting me about?

Kai opened their chat, and read her text messages.

And reading them made his heart drop in his chest.

"Oh."

Beomgyu glanced up at the younger one when he heard the change of his tone of voice.

"Kai?"

No response.

The ravenette's eyes were concentrated on his screen as he messaged his sister back.

Lea 💛✨

Hey lil bro
Ready to come back home tomorrow?

My flight is tomorrow?!

Yeah
Lemme guess
You didn't check your ticket

Admittedly

It's okay
That's why I texted you
I always look out for my lil bro 🥰

Yeah
Thanks for letting me know

"Kai?"

The younger snapped out of his trance to meet Beomgyu's worried gaze.