Chapter 10

Slight caution warning for this chapter ⚠️
🎶: 'Stop Waiting' by Cigarettes After Sex

Beomgyu found solitude and sanctuary on the banks next to the cliff. He couldn't bring himself to stay in the house any longer, feeling suffocated the longer he stayed there, and just left without even finishing the full story. 

The brunette felt like a coward.

Sitting here, knees tucked into his arms which he had thrown around his frame, watching the waves roll against the stone, sloshing quietly.

He was lost in thought.

Talking to Kai... reopened wounds.

Four years have passed, yet the memory of seeing his beloved parents lying on the ground, covered in their own blood, was so vivid and fresh.

Not a day went by where he doesn't think of how he behaved in his last moments with them, and how much he regrets it.

Because he couldn't even say I love you or I'm sorry to them.

Before Beomgyu knew it, tears began to dribble down his cheeks. He lowered his head into his knees, and quietly sobbed into them.

Why do I still cry about this? Why can't it get better?

Suddenly, the brunette felt a warm blanket fall over him. He stiffened when he realized it was a pair of arms. But a whiff of fragrant perfume coming from the brown sleeves adorning the pair of arms around him was all it took for him to know who was hugging him.

And at that moment, the young man didn't want to be elsewhere.

No words were exchanged.

Beomgyu simply leaned his head back, eyes still closed, basking in Kai's comforting warmth.

After a while, Kai let go of the older and glanced at the water.

"Anything interesting down there?" he asked.

Beomgyu shook his head.

"No."

"Ah. Mind if I join you?"

"Not at all."

I would've pushed you away if I did.

Kai slid his sandals off before crouching down next to Beomgyu, dipping his feet into the water as well, and threading them through the waves.

Doing so gave him a bit more time to think.

Now that Beomgyu opened up about some things, because Kai was certain there was more to him than what meets the eye, so much more made sense.

He was a country boy.

No wonder he was so drawn to nature, why he adored and wanted to protect it so much; it was part of him ever since he was born.

It explained why he knew his way around just using the sun, why he could determine the ripeness of fruits, why he could fix cars; all of that must've been taught to him early on.

And... his past also shed light on the nights he spent crying in his sleep, and why he reacted so heavily when Kai asked him about his bruises.

Something in his gut told him that this ex of his... was not a good person.

"Hyung."

"Hmm?"

Both men simultaneously turned their heads to look at each other, and Kai's heart throbbed when he looked into Beomgyu's mysterious eyes.